Local Preps Digest
By From staff reports
Published in Sports on December 18, 2009 1:46 PM
WILSON -- Eastern Wayne never got its offense going in a 57-34, non-conference loss at Wilson Hunt on Thursday night.
Robert Washington led the Warriors with 10 points, while teammate Marvin Bowman Jr. had eight.
Eastern Wayne visits Wilson Fike tonight.
Unbeaten Bethel Christian cruised to an 18-point lead, weathered Faith Christian's fourth-quarter outburst and claimed a 56-48 victory on the N.C. Christian Schools Association Coastal 2-A scene Thursday evening.
The Conquerors (3-4, 1-3 NCCSA Coastal) managed just three field goals in the first 16 minutes and trailed 21-9 at halftime. The Trojans extended their advantage to 39-22 after three periods.
David Sladick led Faith Christian's final-period charge, scoring 13 of his game-high 21 points during that stretch. Bethel (10-0, 6-0) sealed the contest with four free throws in the final 30 seconds.
Drew Floars complemented Sladick's effort with 13 points.
Issac Brown led three Trojans in double figures with 17 points. T.J. Goff added 16, while Will Creekmore knocked down 11.
Devils edge Gators
SEVEN SPRINGS -- South Lenoir held off Spring Creek for a 39-33 non-conference victory on Wednesday.
The Gators' Thomas Edwards earned a forfeit at 103 pounds. Teammate Raheem Fuller (112) improved to 7-0 this season with a forfeit.
Daniel Richter (125), David Smith (130) and Jerome Butts (135) each recorded pins for Spring Creek. Kevin Lipscomb claimed a 3-0 decision at 215 pounds.
The Gators fell to 2-5 on the year.
* Boys' basketball: Faith Christian 45, Bethel 36 -- Connor Anderson led the unbeaten Conquerors (5-0 overall) with 14 points. Trent Wise and Aaron Hill chipped in six points apiece.
* Girls' basketball: Faith Christian 29, Bethel 16 -- Brittany Barfield paced a balanced scoring attack with seven points. Krystal Yelverton contributed six points and four steals. Meredith Clark and Brianna Champion knocked down four points apiece, while Kayla Johnson pulled down five rebounds. The Conquerors (5-0 overall) won their fourth N.C. Christian Schools Association Coastal 2-A region game.
* Girls' basketball: Norwayne 25, Mount Olive 10 -- Quanika Artis led Norwayne with five points. Norwayne (6-1, 2-0) entertains Eastern Wayne on Jan. 5.
Other Local Sports
- All-Area: Princeton's Williamson is coach of the year
- Hyman logs double-double in Kenan's OT victory
- All-Area: Aycock's Pitt is defensive player of the year
- Friday's prep basketball boxscores
- North Duplin boys have tough outing vs. Lejeune
- Hickson FTs sink MOC men on road
- Catawba women use 9-0 run to dispatch MOC
- All-Area: Gurganus, Cobb named co-offensive players of the year
- ECU football inks three early signees
- Take precautions for winter camping