Local Preps Digest
By From staff reports
Published in Sports on January 15, 2010 1:46 PM
Wayne Christian overcame a slow start and bested Northwood Temple 47-43 on Thursday night.
The victory pulled the Eagles' into a three-way tie for first place in the Carolina Christian 1-A Conference with both Northwood and Cape Fear Christian.
After falling behind by five points in the first quarter, the Eagles rallied behind some hot outside shooting by Kayla Kennedy, who buried three shots from behind the arc in the first half.
"Tonight was a very big team win," said Wayne Christian head coach Lee Price. "We slowed down Northwood's two big scorers and we played well enough offensively to get a victory."
Kanesha Lankford scored a game-high 23 points for Northwood Temple.
Kennedy paced the Eagles (8-4 overall, 5-1 CCC) with 16 points. Hanna Kaler added 14 points, while Jennifer Price contributed six points.
* Girls' basketball: Wayne Christian 35, Cape Fear 23 -- Wayne Christian's Jessica Swets scored a game-high 15 points. Katie Isenhower contributed 10 points and five rebounds. Kaylee Wallace supplied four points, six rebounds and four blocked shots. Sara Davis grabbed a team-high eight rebounds.
* Girls' basketball: Norwayne 37, Dillard 10 -- Ashley Darden led Norwayne with 14 points and Kwanika Artis added 10. Norwayne (8-2, 3-1) visits Brogden next Thursday.
Other Local Sports
- Whitfield Hall of Fame inducts latest class
- Local digest
- Rosewood wins thriller over Spring Creek
- Prep basketball boxscores
- Saints slip past North Lenoir
- MOC wins pair at Erskine
- Holtz replacement a big decision
- prep boxscores
- Father and son enjoy time at Mill Pond Club
- W. Christian boys falter in CCC play