Local Preps Digest
By From staff reports
Published in Sports on January 22, 2010 1:46 PM
Rosewood avoided the mental block.
Forced to wrestle a "natural weight" match and surrender a forfeit, the Eagles eased past Southern Nash 43-31 on Thursday evening.
"Southern Nash really had us scrambling to get good matchups, just as they did last Saturday at their tournament," said Rosewood coach Bill Edmundson.
The Eagles (25-7 overall) prevailed in six of 11 contested bouts, and collected two forfeits against the short-handed Firebirds. Chris Lane, Zach Behrend, Josh Pipkin and heavyweight Cameron Lane each pinned their respective opponent.
Scott Pate scored a major decision, while Jamie Wooten nipped Southern's Moses Trejo 5-3 at 171 pounds. Teammates Nick Quillen and Jacob Roberts each drew a forfeit.
Rosewood cruised past Smithfield-Selma 50-27 in the nightcap.
The Eagles received victories from Chris Lane, Quillen, Behrend, Nick Lowrey, Will Sawrey, Pate, Tyler Dean, Pipkin and heavyweight Cameron Lane.
Lane and the Spartans' William Farnell battled to a scoreless tie after two periods of action. Lane took the "down" position to start the third period, escaped Farnell's hold and protected his one-point advantage the remainder of the match.
Rosewood entertains Beddingfield on Jan. 28.
* Girls' basketball: St. Mary's 18, Wayne Country Day 9 -- Karis Hawkins scored three points for the Chargers. Crawford Tanner, Karis Hawkins and Meredith Roethling each added two points. Wayne Country Day (0-7) entertains Oakwood tonight.
* Boys' basketball: Wayne Country Day 35, St. Mary's 23 -- Miller Gerrard paced the Chargers with 12 points and Jason Jones chipped in seven. Wayne Country Day (5-2) entertains Oakwood today.
Other Local Sports
- Southern Wayne boys ride 24-0 run, rout county rival Eastern Wayne
- McIntyre pours in 25 points, helps Warriors pick up 1st ECC win of season
- Southern Wayne-Eastern Wayne boxes
- Farrell gets No. 100; Aycock splits dual tri-meet
- Trojan women outlast Bobcats
- Goldsboro boys 'steal' game from Spring Creek
- Easley blitzes LMC for 30 points
- Goldsboro-Spring Creek boxes
- Rosewood wrestling agate
- Spring Creek-Princeton wrestling agate