Trojan women outlast Bobcats
By Staff Reports
Published in Sports on January 23, 2010 11:10 PM
BANNER ELK -- Mount Olive survived a late rally, overcame a huge discrepancy at the free throw line and defeated Lees-McRae 59-58 in their Conference Carolinas game Saturday afternoon.
Brittany Miller grabbed a rebound with one second left, which helped the Trojans (7-8 overall, 6-4 CC) snap a two-game skid. Miller finished with nine points and Laporsha Davis, who drained three second-half 3-pointers, scored 11.
Helen Moore and Andrea Jones chipped in 10 and nine points, respectively.
The Bobcats, one of the worst teams in CC play this season, owned a decisive 20-4 edge at the free throw line. LMC, which was whistled for just two first-half fouls, attempted 24 free throws compared to just five for MOC.
The Trojans led 50-39 with 7:42 left in regulation. The Bobcats pulled within 59-58 on Lauren Casey's field goal with 52 seconds to go. After an MOC turnover, Casey's potential game-winning shot fell off the mark into Miller's hands.
Mount Olive travels to Converse (S.C.) on Monday. Tip-off is scheduled for 5:30 p.m.
Other Local Sports
- Greenfield tops Wayne Christian
- James Kenan routs Lakewood boys
- Local digest
- Prep basketball boxscores
- MOC downs Converse
- OPINION: Caolina 1-A too close to call
- Southern Wayne boys ride 24-0 run, rout county rival Eastern Wayne
- McIntyre pours in 25 points, helps Warriors pick up 1st ECC win of season
- Southern Wayne-Eastern Wayne boxes
- Farrell gets No. 100; Aycock splits dual tri-meet