Local Preps Digest
By From staff reports
Published in Sports on February 12, 2010 12:05 PM
Wayne Christian celebrated a long-awaited senior night with an opening-round victory over Trinity-Raleigh in the Carolina Christian 1-A Conference boys' basketball tournament Thursday evening.
Senior Luke Howell paced the Eagles, seeded No. 5 from the South Division, with 20 points, nine rebounds and three blocked shots. Seniors Taylor Johnson and Matt Bogue combined for seven points, while junior Anthony Mulligan contributed nine points.
Junior Tyler Mooring dished out seven assists. Sophomore Chandler Howell pulled down eight rebounds.
The Eagles (4-14 overall) travel to South Division champion Cape Fear Christian today. Tip-off is 7 p.m.
PIKEVILLE -- Courtnei Gilbert scored 15 points and grabbed six rebounds as Charles B. Aycock picked up a 46-34 win over Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference foe Southern Wayne on Thursday night.
Imari Howell provided 14 points and 11 rebounds for the Golden Falcons.
Aycock (11-12 overall, 5-5 ECC) seemed to find its offensive rhythm after halftime and closed the game on an 11-3 run.
"I thought we finally started moving the ball," said Golden Falcons head coach Laura Romo. "That's something we're still learning to do is move the ball. I feel like we're moving in the right direction."
Ineka Williams led the Saints (2-18, 1-9) with 10 points. Kayla Powell added seven points and nine rebounds.
LaGRANGE -- Eastern Wayne sank its free throws down the stretch and cruised past North Lenoir 57-43 in the Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference regular-season finale for both teams Thursday evening.
Tiarra McIntyre and Janielle Daniel combined to hit 8 of 10 free throws in the fourth quarter for the Warriors. McIntyre, who faced either a box-and-one or triangle-and-two defense most of the night, pumped in 14 points. Daniel added 13.
The Hawks worked the junk defenses to their advantage and seized a 7-1 lead midway through the opening quarter. The Warriors (6-13 overall, 5-5 ECC) tied the game at 7-7 after one period and entered the locker room ahead 24-17 at halftime.
"(The junk defenses) confused the girls for a moment in the beginning," said Eastern Wayne coach Tyrone Wagner. "But we made some adjustments to it and worked through it. We were flat and kind of struggled in the beginning, missing some easy baskets."
Molly Braxton hit three consecutive field goals as North Lenoir pulled within 44-39 midway through the final period. Eastern Wayne answered with a 13-4 run to close out the game.
Hawks senior Marissa Lanier just missed a triple-double with 15 points, 10 rebounds and nine steals. Deshona Cox contributed 11 points.
Faith moves on
Third-seeded Faith Christian advanced in the N.C. Christian Schools Association Coastal Region 2-A tournament with a 40-14 victory over visiting sixth-seeded Berean Christian on Thursday night.
Elizabethe Weeks led the Conquerors with 11 points, six rebounds and six assists. Madison Caudle supplied seven points, 12 rebounds and five steals. Christy Johnson also scored seven points.
Faith (12-8 overall) faces Bethel Christian at 3 p.m. today at Berean Christian in Fayetteville.
* Boys' basketball: Eastern Wayne 66, North Lenoir 51 -- The Warriors (9-9 overall) concluded the game with a 20-3 run and finished the season 4-6 against Eastern Carolina 3-A opposition. Lee Atkinson paced Eastern Wayne with a game-high 26 points. Tyquan Days and Jamal Davis contributed 18 and 10 points, respectively.
* Boys' basketball: Southern Wayne 56, C.B. Aycock 44 -- Jamil Price scored 18 points for the Saints (8-2 ECC) and Ronnell Outlaw chipped in 12 points. Southern Wayne claimed the regular-season Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference championship.
Other Local Sports
- Local Preps Digest
- Prep boxes
- Greenfield rolls past WCDS boys
- Guards lead Lady Trojans to victory
- Trojans claim third straight conference title
- Carolina 1-A contests moved to Monday
- Taylor, Connolly each place in individual events
- Eagles grapple today
- Basketball game schedule for tonight changed due to weather
- prep basketball boxes