Trojans hammer Shaw 29-1
By MOC Sports Information
Published in Sports on February 18, 2010 1:46 PM
MOUNT OLIVE -- No. 16-ranked Mount Olive erupted for nine first-inning runs and dismantled in-state rival Shaw University 29-1 at Scarborough Field on a sun-splashed Wednesday afternoon.
Jeremy Nowak slugged a two-run home run, Thomas McAlpine collected three RBI and the Trojans used nine different pitchers in the non-conference affair. Mount Olive improved to 6-0 this season and is now 31-0 all-time against Central Intercollegiate Athletic Association opponents since 2002.
McAlpine concluded the day 2-for-3 with a double, two runs scored and three RBI. Dan Hayduk contributed three hits, including a double and two RBI. Goldsboro native Airlon Vinson doubled in a 3-for-6, three-RBI outing.
Nolan Lancaster (two RBI), Wesley Joyner (two RBI) and Daniel Coffey (two RBI) supplied two hits apiece in the rout.
Thomas Newsome, who threw the third inning, claimed the pitching win for Mount Olive. The nine hurlers combined on a four-hitter and nine strikeouts, and held Shaw scoreless in eight of nine innings.
The Trojans entertain Anderson (S.C.) University in a Conference Carolinas weekend series. The teams play a doubleheader Saturday and a single game Sunday.
Other Local Sports
- Greenfield jousts WCDS in boys' CPIC tournament final
- Friday's prep basketball boxes
- Limestone provides wake-up call for MOC men's volleyball team
- Mount Olive crushes Anderson, sweeps baseball twinbill
- Mount Olive basketball teams roll past Lees-McRae
- Golden Falcon boys seize ECC 3-A tournament championship
- Aycock girls upend top-seeded Triton, grab ECC tournament crown
- Wooten homers in first-ever collegiate at-bat for ECU
- Goldsboro boys capture Carolina 1-A tournament crown
- Ayden-Grifton girls stun Goldsboro in conference tournament final