MOC rolls past Queens University
By MOC Sports Information
Published in Sports on February 25, 2010 1:46 PM
MOC Sports Information
CHARLOTTE -- Kendrick Easley scored 15 of his 19 points in the second half, and Mount Olive College dismantled Queens University 90-68 on the Conference Carolinas men's basketball scene Wednesday evening.
Easley moved within eight points of becoming the Trojans' all-time scoring leader. The senior guard entered the contest just 27 points shy of breaking the record (2,165 points) held by current Southern Wayne basketball coach Russell Stephens.
Mount Olive (22-5 overall, 19-1 CC) set program records for most regular-season conference wins and highest conference winning percentage in a season.
Craig Hayes emerged the Trojans' offensive leader with 20 points. Mike Holloman contributed 16 points, while Brandon Allen knocked down 15 points. Point guard Derek Staton pulled down a career-best nine rebounds and dished out five assists.
Queens seized an early lead, but the Trojans stormed in front with a 29-7 run. The lead grew to as many as 35 points with five minutes remaining in regulation.
The Trojans, ranked No. 2 in the Division II Southeast Region poll, put the finishing touches on its third consecutive regular-season championship.
MOC returns home Tuesday for an opening-round game in the season-ending, Conference Carolinas tournament. Game time is 7 p.m. at Kornegay Arena.
Other Local Sports
- Prep basketball boxscores
- WCDS girls defeated in state final game
- Goldsboro advances to regional round
- MOC baseball sweeps twinbill
- Mount Olive women win on senior day
- C.B. Aycock falls to Rocky Mount
- Some teams secure for postseason, others have work left to do to clinch bids
- Ford drives Chargers into semis
- Trojans drop twinbill against Wingate
- Cougars hammer Wallace-Rose Hill