By Staff Reports
Published in Sports on March 2, 2010 1:46 PM
DUDLEY -- Southern Wayne delivered an 11-4 victory over East Duplin on opening day at the Doyle Whitfield Athletic Complex on Monday.
Will Broadwell earned the win on the pitcher's mound with five solid innings. Broadwell allowed three runs on eight hits and struck out six batters.
Kevin Wise led the Saints at the plate with two hits including a triple. Zach Grantham added one hit and an RBI.
Southern Wayne (1-0 overall) travels to West Craven on Thursday.
GC takes opener
SNOW HILL -- Greene Central opened its varsity baseball season with a 5-3 victory over North Lenoir on Monday afternoon.
Zach Chase earned the win on the pitcher's mound for the Rams. Chase lasted three and two-thirds innings and struck ouit five batters.
Grayson Phillips led the Hawks with three hits and one run batted in. Spencer Bass added a home run in the defeat.
North Lenoir (0-1 overall) visits Rosewood on Wednesday, while Greene Central (1-0) is the guest of Spring Creek today.
DEEP RUN -- Spring Creek dropped its season-opening game 11-0 to South Lenoir on Monday afternoon.
Eric Evans and Chris Boseman each tallied one hit in the defeat. Hunter Barnett took the loss on the pitcher's mound.
Spring Creek (0-1 overall) entertains Greene Central today.
Hawks win opener
SNOW HILL -- North Lenoir got a strong opening-day performance from Erin Deal in the pitcher's circle and bested Greene Central 4-3 on Monday.
Deal tossed a complete game and struck out 10 Rams en route to the victory. At the plate, Deal contributed a home run and three RBI. Kayla Letchworth added a perfect one-for-one performace in the batter's box.
North Lenoir (1-0 overall) travels to Rosewood on Wednesday.
Eastern Wayne opened the tennis season in impressive fashion with an 8-1 triumph over Wilson Fike on Monday afternoon.
The Warriors swept singles play led by Chaz Fitzpatrick's 6-3, 7-6 (4) victory at No. 1 singles. Aaron Dunmire, Mike Barnette, Joe DiCesare, Mike Ames and Carson Daly each won thier respective singles match.
The duos of Dunmire-DiCesare and Ames-Daly each prevailed in doubles play.
Eastern Wayne (1-0 overall) entertains perennial power Southern Nash on Wednesday.
* Baseball: Southern Wayne 13, East Duplin 4 -- An 11-run third inning propelled the Saints to an opening-day victory. Taylor Raynor tallied two hits and one RBI. Thomas Kelley added two hits, including a triple, and two RBI. Matt Sparks and Cody Wendorf each added two hits respectively for the Saints.
* Softball: Rosewood 22, Grantham 6 -- Emily Brock earned the win in the pitcher's circle for the Eagles with three strikeouts. Alicia Burns paced the victors at the plate with four hits. Hayley Mercer added two hits in the win.
Other Local Sports
- Spring is the perfect time to catch jackfish
- CCA shines at annual gathering
- Golden Falcons claim opener
- Aycock-Princeton box
- Local Preps Digest
- Aycock-North Johnston box
- Aycock rallies past North Johnston
- High-scoring Pfeiffer next for top-seeded Trojan men
- Opinion -- NASCAR desperately needs parody
- Goldsboro-Weldon boxscore