By Staff Reports
Published in Sports on March 18, 2010 1:48 PM
CALYPSO -- North Duplin continued its red-hot start to the varsity baseball season with a 10-5, non-conference victory over Duplin County rival James Kenan on Wednesday.
James Kornegay powered the Rebels' offense with three hits, including a double, and three RBI. Marcus Kornegay drew three walks and scored three runs. Ryan Wolfe delivered two hits and two stolen bases.
Will Lanier pitched 42/3 innings of relief to earn the mound win.
North Duplin improved to 3-0 on the season and plays host to Union today.
WILMINGTON -- For the second time in 24 hours, Hoggard held off Southern Wayne on the baseball diamond and claimed an 11-8, non-conference victory Wednesday evening.
Breyon Johnson paced the Saints at the plate with three hits, including a three-run home run, and five RBI. Taylor Brock added two hits in the defeat.
Will Raynor tossed 32/3 innings and struck out five batters in the mound loss.
Southern Wayne (4-3 overall) travels to Spring Creek on Friday.
Rebels rise up
CALYPSO -- North Duplin scored three runs in its final at-bat to break open a 7-3, non-conference win over James Kenan on Wednesday.
Skylar McCarty hurled a complete game in the pitcher's circle and struck out three batters to earn the win.
Tearra Ammons led the Rebels offensively with two hits, one RBI and two stolen bases. McCarty and Ansley Hill also tallied two hits in the victory.
North Duplin (1-2 overall) travels to Union today.
WINTERVILLE -- South Central posted two runs in the bottom of the seventh inning, and rallied past Charles B. Aycock 3-2 on Wednesday afternoon.
Autumn Pittman led the Golden Falcons at the plate with one hit and two RBI. Connor Davis and Sarah Beth Marquis each added one hit in the defeat.
Brooke Bell suffered the loss in the pitcher's circle.
The Golden Falcons entertain D.H. Conley on Friday.
Rosewood took five out of six singles matches in a 7-2, non-conference victory over North Lenoir on Wednesday afternoon.
Cole Radcliff, Matt Binda, Antonio Henriquez, Zach Behrend and Daniel Alawar each collected one point in singles action.
The duos of Travis Cuddington-Radcliff and Binda-Alawar each prevailed in doubles play.
Rosewood (2-0 overall) travels to Wayne Country Day this afternoon.
* Soccer: Eastern Wayne 5, Spring Creek 0 -- Megan Mozingo tallied two goals and two assists in the victory. Kayla Wiebe, Destinee Gardiner and Allison Dixon added one goal apiece. Zhane Wade added an assist. Eastern Wayne (4-0-0 overall) travels to Norwayne on March 23.
Other Local Sports
- Williams: Former Wayne Country Day headmaster inducted into NCISAA Hall of Fame
- All-Area: Eastern Wayne's McIntyre is girls' player of the year
- Benton: Pitt CC is perfect fit
- Wayne Christian's McCollum tosses no-hitter, fans 9 Faith-RM batters
- Southern Wayne knocks Spring Creek in 6 innings
- All-Area: Brewington is News-Argus boys' player of the year
- All-Area: Reynell is News-Argus boys' coach of the year
- MOC men fend off match points, turn back Lees-McRae
- Trojans split baseball twinbill with St. Andrews
- Princeton's Jacobs, Williamson commit to Division III schools