Pirates edge High Point U
By Rudy Coggins
Published in Sports on March 24, 2010 1:46 PM
GREENVILLE -- Kyle Roller's eighth-inning, two-RBI double down the right field line propelled No. 25-ranked East Carolina past in-state foe High Point University 7-5 on Tuesday evening.
Trent Whitehead started the Pirates' eighth with a one-out walk. He moved to second on a wild pitch and stayed there on Dustin Harrington's single. Roller followed with his extra-base knock
HPU rallied in the ninth with one run before ECU closer Seth Simmons coaxed Andrew Bartlett into a game-ending flyout to Whitehead in center field. It was Simmons' sixth save of the season and 17th of his career.
ECU entertains North Carolina A&T today. First pitch is 6 p.m. at Lewis Field inside Clark-LeClair Stadium.
Other Local Sports
- Local digest
- Sasser-Price reunited at NC State
- Opinion: Sweet 16 has plenty of storylines
- Eastern Wayne holds off Northern Nash
- Trojans fall to Armstrong Atlantic
- Mozingo sparks Warriors
- Local Preps Digest
- Saints falter in seventh
- Minshew's grand slam sparks Trojans in game 2
- Trojan offense comes alive in late innings vs. AASU