Trojans survive and advance
By Rudy Coggins
Published in Sports on April 16, 2010 2:20 PM
WILSON -- Carter Capps threw a complete game and top-seeded Mount Olive College belted four home runs in a 9-6, elimination-round victory over Barton in the 2010 Conference Carolinas baseball tournament Friday afternoon.
The Trojans (35-9 overall) continue play Saturday at 3 p.m. against an undetermined opponent.
Capps permitted six earned runs on 10 hits and fanned seven Bulldog hitters. He threw 130 pitches and induced 11 flyouts in the nine-inning affair. Capps also saved a depleted bullpen that struggled in an opening-round loss to Anderson on Thursday evening.
Jesse Lancaster, Bobby Leeper, Jeremy Nowak and Ryan Faison all homered for the Trojans. Nowak pounded out three hits. Lancaster, Leeper, Faison, Joseph Westbrook and Mike Knox delivered two hits apiece.
MOC had 15 hits overall.
Other Local Sports
- Four Trojans crowned individual champs in track
- Softball season ends in disappointing fashion for MOC
- Minor leagues
- Mount Olive defeats Pfeiffer twice for title
- Wooten delivers walk-off single
- Local digest
- Southern Wayne tops Triton
- Crumpler inducted to American Legion Hall of Fame
- Mount Olive wins volleyball title
- C.B. Aycock holds of North Lenoir softball