Local Preps Digest
By Staff Reports
Published in Sports on April 22, 2010 4:52 PM
WHITEVILLE -- Wayne Country Day overcame an early deficit and toppled Waccamaw Academy 17-11 on Wednesday afternoon.
Cole Davis led the Chargers at the plate with three hits and one RBI. Tucker Pearson added a home run and three RBI. Hil Tanner belted two hits and drove in three runs.
All nine Charger starters finished with at least one hit.
Tyson Pearson pitched six innings of relief to earn the mound win. Pearson allowed 10 hits and five runs, while striking out three.
The Chargers extended their win streak to six games and earned a regular-season sweep of the Warriors.
Wayne Country Day (11-6 overall) entertains The Epiphany School on Friday.
Eagles land third
RALEIGH-- Davis Taylor fired a nine-hole round of 34 to lead Wayne Christian to a third-place finish during a Carolina Christian 1-A Conference golf match at Wildwood Greens on Wednesday.
Taylor Gardner added a 43, Nathan Taylor carded a 49 and Bryson Tart finished with a round of 50 to complete the Eagles' team score of 176.
Wayne Christian will be back in action on Tuesday at Keith Hills Country Club.
CLAYTON -- Goldsboro's John Pritchett carded an 87 and finished second overall in Flight C play during a Down East Senior Tour event on Tuesday.
Clayton's Steve Wirth defeated Zebulon's Brent Massey in a playoff to claim the Flight A win. Durham's Ed Lothes emerged the top Flight B player with a 72, while Kinston's Denny Spence was fourth at 82 in the same flight.
Lane Tree LGA
Linda Hilburn emerged the game-of-the-week winner during play on the Lane Tree Golf Club links.
Betty Jean Gurley and Nan Jarrell seized low net and low putts, respectively.
Walnut Creek LGA
Faye Franklin and Jewel Ivey won the "blind partners" play-of-the-day at Walnut Creek Country Club.
Novella Zambelli and Mary Morris took first low gross and second gross, respectively. Gaye Bryant claimed first low net, while Nancy Satterfield and Linda Cannon shared second low net.
Bev Ives grabbed low putts for the field.
ROCKY MOUNT -- Two-time defending Coastal Plains Independent champion Wayne Country Day and Faith Christian-Rocky Mount battled to a 2-2 draw.
Mack Thompson and Sarah Best each scored for the Chargers.
WCDS (9-4-1 overall, 4-1-1 CPIC) travels to The Epiphany School on Monday.
* Baseball: C.B. Aycock 15, South Johnston 4 -- Collin DuBose (4 RBI) missed hitting for the cycle with a double, triple and home run in the Golden Falcons' victory. Adam Pate doubled and tripled in a 3-for-4, 3-RBI showing. Cameron Taylor (2 RBI), Hunter Jones (2 RBI), Josiah Luger, Michael Roscoe (2 RBI) and Zach Allen (2 RBI) provided two hits apiece. Justin Barbour (RBI) added a hit. Cameron Taylor emerged the winning pitcher, striking out nine and giving up two hits in the mercy rule-shortened contest. Aycock (16-2 overall) entertains Eastern Wayne on Friday.
* Soccer: Wayne Country Day 1, Faith Christian-Rocky Mount 0 -- Mollie McDonald scored the game-winning goal for the Chargers.
* Baseball: Rosewood 11, Eastern Wayne 8 -- Jordan Gurley and Daniel Herring each tallied two hits for the Eagles. Reed Howell earned the win on the pitcher's mound. Rosewood (8-4 overall) will host Spring Creek on April 28.
Other Local Sports
- Prep baseball boxes
- Rosewood remains unbeaten in Carolina 1-A baseball
- Wayne Christian girls boot Flora MacDonald, 4-0
- Aycock's McGee, Quinn sign national letters-of-intent
- Easley, Souza, Rombaut, Czerski cop top athlete awards
- Goldsboro's Graham drafted by defending Super Bowl champs
- Trojans sweep Chowan, Lancaster nearing 800-win mark
- Third hit batter gives EW victory over Aycock in baseball
- Aycock softball team bounces back
- prep baseball boxes