By Staff Reports
Published in Sports on April 27, 2010 1:49 PM
SNOW HILL -- Eastern Wayne swept through singles play and bested Greene Central 8-1 in the non-conference, regular-season tennis finale for both teams Monday afternoon.
Chaz Fitzpatrick did not drop a single game in his 6-0, 6-0 win at No. 1 singles. Russell Turner, Aaron Dunmire, Mike Barnette, Joe DiCesare and Mike Ames each added a singles point for the Warriors.
The tandems of Marvin Bowman Jr.-DiCesare and Turner-Dunmire each prevailed in doubles play. Greene Central's lone point was won by the tandem of Eric Simmons-Colby Chase.
Eastern Wayne (13-2 overall) returns to action Wednesday in the season-ending Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference tournament. First serve is 11 a.m. at the Snow Hill Tennis Complex.
Faith tops Bethel
KINSTON -- Faith Christian continued its strong start to the baseball season with a 9-7 win over Bethel Christian on Monday afternoon.
The Conquerors were led at the plate by Nick Gurley's two-hit outing that included three RBI. Brandon Jones scored three runs.
Matt Lambert earned the mound win by tossing five innings and striking out four batters. Gurley collected the save.
Faith Christian (10-0 overall) travels to Greenville to play Trinity Christian today.
NEW BERN -- Wayne Country Day never got its offense in gear en route to a 2-1 loss at The Epiphany School on Monday afternoon.
Mack Thompson tallied the Chargers' lone goal.
Wayne Country Day (9-5-1 overall) will play host to nemesis Greenfield today at 5 p.m.
Lane Tree LGA
Susan Davis captured game-of-the-week honors during recent play on the Lane Tree Golf Club links.
Sherry Minner took low net.
Nan Jarrell won low putts.
* Tennis: Eastern Wayne 7, Greene Central 2 -- Steven Taylor, J'Lexus Carter, Preston Daly and Cody Jackson each earned a singles point for the Warriors. The tandems of Rex Smith-Taylor, Mitchell Kaspar-Carter and Matthew Wilkings-Daly each won in doubles play.
Other Local Sports
- Thursday preps
- Aycock senior reaches milestone victory in semis
- Brock's double play thwarts comeback
- Wayne County players dominate opening-round action at 3-A Conference
- Moore hired to steer ECU's women's hoops program
- Prep baseball boxes
- WCDS-Greenfield soccer
- Local Preps Digest
- Warriors remain tied with Aycock in ECC 3-A action
- N. Duplin nips Princeton