Eagles are champs again
By From staff reports
Published in Sports on May 3, 2010 1:46 PM
FAYETTEVILLE -- Champions ... again.
Wayne Christian defeated Community Christian 7-2 and claimed yet another Carolina Christian 1-A Conference baseball tournament championship.
Senior Luke Howell emerged the winning pitcher.
"Luke pitched a solid game for us," said Eagles head coach Greg Johnson. "We played solid defense and put our hits together at the right time. Offensively, we were very selective at the plate."
Howell, Travis Thomas and Stephen Gallagher provided two hits apiece. Chase Darden, Chandler Harrell, Gregory Johnson, Dylan Smith and Ryan Cooke each cranked out one hit.
Gallagher was named the tournament MVP. Thomas, Howell, Johnson, Harrell and Smith earned spots on the all-tournament squad. Thomas, Gallagher and Howell also received all-CCC accolades.
"We played with intensity the entire tournament and I feel we are peaking at the right time just before state," said Johnson. "This was a big win as we have played a very tough schedule and I think because of that schedule, we knew what we had to do.
"All the guys played great."
Wayne Christian (15-8 overall) seized the automatic bid to the N.C. Independent Schools Athletic Association 1-A playoffs. The 16-team field will be announced Wednesday afternoon, and first-round games are scheduled for either Friday or Saturday.
Other Local Sports
- Local Preps Digest
- Noth Lenoir-Southern Wayne baseball boxscore
- Rosewood secures league championship
- Eagles' Beckert shuts out Rebels
- Rosewood-North Duplin softball box
- Southern Wayne finishes strong in crazy contest
- ND-Rosewood baseball boxscore
- CBA-Chapel Hill tennis box
- Chapel Hill eliminates C.B. Aycock from playoffs
- Saints punch ticket to state championship tourney