Local Preps Digest
By From staff reports
Published in Sports on May 3, 2010 1:46 PM
RALEIGH -- Woody Sasser and Kenneth Giordano claimed runner-up honors their respective singles flights, and Wayne Christian placed third overall in the season-ending Carolina Christian 1-A Conference boys' tennis tournament at Lions Park.
Sasser dropped a 6-3, 7-5 decision to Trinity-Durham's Will Shoe in their title match at No. 4 singles. Sasser reached the championship with a three-set stunner over top-seeded Steven Dalgetty of Grace Christian School.
Giordano endured a heart-breaking 4-6, 7-6 (5), 8-10 loss to Trinity-Durham's Philip James in the No. 5 singles final. Giordano advanced to the title tilt with a straight-set triumph over Grace Christian's Travis Collins.
Christopher Easom (No. 2 flight), Daniel Glover (No. 3 flight) and Matt Thompson (No. 6) each finished third in their respective singles competition.
In doubles, Easom-Glover, Sasser-Giordano and Nicholas Easom-Thompson each placed third.
Wayne Christian (7-3 overall) travels to Faith Christian of Rocky Mount today. First serve is 4 p.m.
Chargers take one
WILMINGTON -- Wayne Country Day triumphed in five singles matches and turned back Cape Fear Academy 7-1 on Thursday afternoon.
Michael Knutson, Thomas Elmore, Jack Langston, Ravi Chitilla and Alex Nolan each picked up a singles point for the Chargers.
Elmore-Knutson and Langston-Douglas Williams each emerged victorious in doubles play.
Hallow notches ace
The tandem of Jello Hallow-Mickey Nance fired a two-player total of 120 and emerged the first flight winners in the 2010 Spring Member-Member golf tournament at Walnut Creek Country Club.
Hallow aced the No. 3 hole, giving him two hole-in-ones during the same week and seven overall during his playing career. However, Hallow-Nance ended up runner-up to Bill Reynolds-Keith Reynolds in overall play.
The duo of Robert Blair-Johnnie Brown finished runner-up to Hallow-Nance by one stroke.
In second flight play, Reynolds-Reynolds edged Scott McConnaughey-Ralph Ives 116-117. The duo of Gareth Jones-David Allen claimed third-flight accolades with a 118-119 decision over Ken Ritt-John Jennings.
Walnut Creek LGA
Faye Franklin and Hiromi Sueki shared play-of-the-day honors during weekly tournament action on the Walnut Creek Country Club links.
Kathy Woodard claimed low gross, while Mary Morris and Linda Cannon tied for second gross. Novella Zambelli and Evelyn Rose tied for first net. Joyce Reynolds seized second net.
Franklin emerged the Walnut Creek Cup champion, while Morris finished runner-up. Zambelli and Nancy Satterfield captured first place in first and second flight, respectively.
* Baseball: C.B. Aycock 17, Southern Wayne 2 -- Justin Barbour (three RBI), Josiah Laser (RBI) and Adam Pate (RBI) each collected three hits for the Golden Falcons. Cameron Taylor (5 RBI) and Ryan Grant both added two hits. David Romo (RBI), Michael Roscoe (RBI) and Collin DuBose each had a hit. Pate earned the win on the mound. Aycock (18-3 overall, 9-1 ECC) captured the Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference regular-season championship.
Other Local Sports
- Local Preps Digest
- Noth Lenoir-Southern Wayne baseball boxscore
- Rosewood secures league championship
- Eagles' Beckert shuts out Rebels
- Rosewood-North Duplin softball box
- Southern Wayne finishes strong in crazy contest
- ND-Rosewood baseball boxscore
- CBA-Chapel Hill tennis box
- Chapel Hill eliminates C.B. Aycock from playoffs
- Saints punch ticket to state championship tourney