Local Preps Digest
By From staff reports
Published in Sports on August 18, 2010 1:47 PM
Charles B. Aycock 2,
South Granville 0
* Travis Musselman got the Golden Falcons on the board in the 21st minute. Tyler Lynch extended the lead in the 73rd minute. Aycock outshot South Granville 13-2 and held a 7-2 advantage in corner kicks. Brandon Davis earned the shutout in goal and finished with five saves. Aycock (1-0-0 overall) entertains Greene Central on Thursday. Kickoff is 7 p.m.
Greene Central 6, Greenfield 3
* Lauren Carraway, Hayes Lovett, Brittany Collie and Kayla Radford each collected singles wins for the Rams in the nearly five hour marathon. The doubles teams of Lovett/Jessica Hatch and Radford/Laurie Sutton were also victorious. Greene Central (2-0) visits Rocky Mount today.
Rocky Mount 7, C.B. Aycock 2
* Harlie Howard captured the Golden Falcons' lone singles point with a come-from-behind 3-6, 6-4, 10-5 decision over the Gryphons' Caroline Nelson at the No. 2 slot. Howard and doubles mate Misty Edwards upended RM's Elizabeth Thompson-Emily Arroyo 9-7 at No. 2 doubles. Aycock (0-1 overall) travels to Wilson Fike today.
Rosewood 3, North Johnston 2
* Ellen Morgan flirted with a double-double -- 10 digs, nine kills -- in the Eagles' season-opening, road victory. Alyssa Spell dished out 17 assists and collected seven digs. Rachael Kornegay provided five kills, four blocks and one assist. Laura Vinson added five kills and 16 digs, while Rachyle McAlduff led the defense with 18 digs. Rosewood (1-0 overall) travels to Union on Thursday.
Goldsboro 3, RM Prep 1
* Goldsboro recorded 20 service aces as a team in its season-opening home victory. Brandy Johnson contributed nine kills and Sterling Simmons had six. Yusely Lares tallied six kills. The Cougars visit Charles B. Aycock today.
Princeton 3, Charles B. Aycock 2
* Connor Davis supplied 12 kills for the Golden Falcons (0-1 overall) and Bailee Hughes added seven aces.
* Volleyball: Wayne Christian d. Wayne Country Day 21-25, 25-16, 25-22 -- Sarah Crooks had five assists, five service aces and five digs for the Chargers. Teammates Rachel Uzzell and Stephanie Schappell combined for seven aces. Gracie Gurley contributed one kill. It was the season-opening match for both teams.
* Volleyball: Rosewood d. North Johnston 25-20, 25-23 -- Scout Anderson handed out 11 assists to go with two kills and an ace. Anna Ingram hammered out eight kills and had four blocks, three aces, two digs and a pair of assists. Heather Lancaster provided seven kills and Amanda Beckert had six assists.
* Volleyball: Princeton d. Charles B. Aycock 25-23, 25-16 -- Meredith Burroughs finished with six kills for the Golden Falcons.
* Soccer: Wayne Christian d. Wayne Country Day 5-1 -- Charlie Roethling tallied the lone goal for the Chargers.
* Soccer: Wayne Christian d. Wayne Country Day 4-1 -- Victor Kokiko tallied a hat trick (three goals) as Wayne Christian defeated Wayne Country Day on Tuesday. Graham Fussell added one goal for the Eagles. Lee McDonald scored the Chargers' lone goal.
Other Local Sports
- FOOTBALL TAB -- Eastern Wayne preview
- FOOTBALL TAB -- Goldsboro preview
- FOOTBALL TAB -- Greene Central preview
- Greg Warren ready for return to Steeler lineup
- FOOTBALL TAB -- James Kenan preview
- FOOTBALL TAB -- North Lenoir preview
- FOOTBALL TAB -- Jones and Murdock: Friends or Foes
- Pod playoff system in place for 2010
- FOOTBALL TAB -- Rosewood preview
- FOOTBALL TAB -- Princeton preview