By Rudy Coggins
Published in Sports on August 20, 2010 1:47 PM
Eastern Wayne 9, Wilson Hunt 0
* Miller Delbridge, Janielle Daniel, Grace Delbridge, Amber Miller, Joann Talton and Jackie Johnson each recorded singles wins for Eastern Wayne in its season-opener. The doubles teams of Miller Delbridge/Grace Delbridge, Daniel/Talton and Miller/Johnson were also victorious. The Warriors entertain Nash Central today.
East Duplin 8, Southern Wayne 1
* Mollianne Kennedy recorded the Saints' lone singles victory.
Union 3, Rosewood 1
* Ellen Morgan pounded out 11 kills for the Eagles to go with four blocks, four digs and an ace. Alyssa Spell provided nine assists, two digs, an ace and a kill. Rachael Kornegay had five kills, three blocks and an ace. Rosewood (1-1 overall) entertains North Johnston on Monday.
Greene Central 3, Spring Creek 0
* Courtney Phillips handed out 15 assists for the Rams. Peri Dail added seven kills. Brittany Collier recorded four kills for the Gators. Lucy Avila had three digs and three aces. Lolita Corenna contributed three aces and five assists and Stacie Salter chipped in three digss. Greene Central (2-1) travels to North Lenoir on Tuesday while Spring Creek visits Eastern Wayne on Wednesday.
* Kendra Nash dished out six assists in the Warriors' straight-set, home-opening loss to the Rams. Tiffany Gussenhofen provided four kills, one block and three digs. Allyson Newsome added four kills. Carissa Turner (two kills, two digs) and Morgan Smith (kill) also contributed in the four-set affair. The Warriors committed 20 service errors. Eastern Wayne plays host to Jones Senior on Monday.
Hobbton 3, North Duplin 1
* Tearra Ammons collected eight kills, two digs and a block for the Rebels. Skylar McCarty provided five kills and four aces. Alonna Pate had five digs, two kills and two blocks. North Duplin (0-2 overall) entertains James Kenan on Tuesday.
Lane Tree LGA
* Linda Watson captured game-of-the-week honors during action on the Lane Tree Golf Club links. Linda Hilburn and Libby Newsome seized low net and low putts, respectively.
* Volleyball: Eastern Wayne d. Goldsboro 25-13, 25-20 -- Brooke Doherty, Erika Duke and Stephanie Smith played well throughout the match. The Warriors (3-0 overall) claimed their third straight two-set win.
* Volleyball: Eastern Wayne d. Greene Central 28-26, 25-19 -- Brooke Doherty (two blocks), Erika Duke and Haley Smith recorded two kills apiece. Stephanie Smith served well throughout the straight-set win. The Warriors improved to 2-0 overall.
* Volleyball: Rosewood d. Union 25-23, 25-15 -- Scout Anderson supplied 11 assists, three aces and a kill. Anna Ingram tallied six kills and Amanda Becker had six assists. Alicia Burns added five kills.
* Volleyball: North Duplin d. Hobbton 25-23, 25-23 -- Jessica Jones tallied five kills and five aces for the Rebels. Mia Owens and Jasmine Jones each had three service aces.
Other Local Sports
- S. Wayne - W. Craven box
- Local Preps Digest
- Eastern Wayne blanked at Hunt
- Southern Wayne can't hold early lead
- N. Duplin - Southside box
- Wooten's 10-yar scamper seals Rosewood victory
- S. Creek - S. Lenoir box
- Rosewood-Wake Christian box
- Fumbles hurt Gators in loss to South Lenoir
- Rams' defense can't slow Falcons' running game