By From staff reports
Published in Sports on August 24, 2010 1:46 PM
Wayne Christian 6, Fayetteville Christian 3
* FAYETTEVILLE -- Brooke Barfield picked up a convincing 6-1, 6-2 victory at number one singles as Wayne Christian claimed its opening match of the season. Faith Sutton, Taylor Willman and Reagan Hinton each added a point in singles play for the Eagles. The tandems of Barfield-Sutton and Willman-Hinton prevailed during doubles action.
Wilson Fike 5, Eastern Wayne 4
* Amber Taylor, Joann Talton and Jackie Johnson each won thier respective singles match for the Warriors. The duo of Janielle Daniel-Talton earned the lone doubles point for Eastern Wayne. The Warriors (1-2 overall) begin defense of their Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference dual-team crown today at South Johnston.
Fayetteville Christian 4, Wayne Christian 2
* FAYETTEVILLE -- Jordan Crouthamel scored on a free kick from 30 yards out and was followed minutes later by a goal from Chase Darden off Gregory Alexander's assist, but it was not enough to propel Wayne Christian to victory. Chase King finished with six saves in goal. The Eagles (2-1-0 overall) play host to Carolina Christian 1-A opponent Grace Christian today.
* Volleyball: Wayne Christian def. Fayetteville Christian 25-15, 14-25, 25-21 -- Rachel McCollum led the Eagles with 10 aces from the service line. Katie Cavenous and Kaylee Wallace each added four kills in the win.
* Volleyball -- North Johnston d. Rosewood 25-19, 20-25, 25-21 -- Krystal Allen pounded out 10 kills, while Scout Anderson dished out 10 assists in the Eagles' loss. Heather Lancaster added nine kills. Anna Ingram collected five kills, five digs and one service ace. Stephanie Hall contributed nine assists, four digs and two kills. The Eagles (2-1 overall) entertain Union today.
Other Local Sports
- WCDS closes the door
- SW-Triton tennis box
- Coaches tab Trojans sixth in poll
- County trio will play in Impact Futures games at UNC
- Eagles spikers soar past Saints
- Saints' Kennedy uses old 'backboard strategy'
- Falcons, Chargers, Eagles, Gators head to The Brittany
- Local Preps Digest
- Area teams seek first win of 2010
- W. Country Day takes down GHS