Local Preps Digest
By From staff reports
Published in Sports on August 27, 2010 1:46 PM
Eastern Wayne 3, Spring Creek 2
* Tiffany Gussenhofen recorded eight service aces to go with five digs and two kills for the Warriors. Morgan Smith finished with five kills and two digs. Lura Hulse supplied four kills. Kelsey Rogers provided seven aces, five kills and five blocks for the Gators. Mitzi Artega had seven aces, four kills and two digs. Janna Price added seven assists, four kills, two blocks and two aces. Eastern Wayne (2-3 overall) entertains Croatan on Monday and Spring Creek (1-2) plays host to Greene Central.
North Duplin 3, Hobbton 1
* CALYPSO -- Hannah Brock dished out 19 assists and 16 aces for the Rebels. Tearra Ammons tallied 14 kills and three blocks. Skylar McCarty chipped in four aces and three digs. Scarlett Martin contributed four blocks, three kills and two aces.
North Duplin (2-3) visits James Kenan on Monday.
Ayden-Grifton 3 Greene Central 0
* Kaitlyn Napier led Greene Central with eight kills and three blocks. Peri Dail provided four blocks and three kills. Maegan Letchworth supplied three kills and two blocks. The Rams (2-4 overall) travel to Spring Creek on Monday.
Eastern Wayne 9, Cleveland 0
* CLAYTON -- Eastern Wayne breezed past Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference newcomer Cleveland 9-0 on Thursday.
Miller Delbridge, Janielle Daniel, Amber Miller, Joann Talton, Jackie Johnson and Jenna Martin were each singles winners for the Warriors. The doubles teams of Delbridge-Miller, Daniel-Talton and Martin-Johnson were also victorious.
Eastern Wayne (3-2 overall, 2-0 ECC) visits Rocky Mount on Tuesday.
C.B. Aycock 9, North Lenoir 0
* PIKEVILLE -- Katie Gurley, Harlie Howard, Brittany Parrish, Tiffany Godwin and Caroline Bone each recorded singles victories for Aycock.
The doubles teams of Gurley-Abby Strickland and Bone-Brook Butts were also winners. The Hawks forfeited at No. 6 singles and No. 3 doubles.
The Golden Falcons (1-3 overall, 1-0 ECC) visit South Johnston on Tuesday.
Greene Central 5, Tarboro 4
* SNOW HILL -- Greene Central held off Eastern Plains 2-A Conference rival Tarboro 5-4 on Thursday afternoon.
Lauren Carraway, Jessica Hatch and Brittany Collie each recorded a singles victory for the Rams. The doubles teams of Carraway-Hatch and Colie-Hayes Lovett also prevailed.
Greene Central (4-0 overall, 1-0 EPC) faces Salisbury today in the Twin Cities Invitational.
Charles B. Aycock 139, Rosewood 124
Tara Simmons paced the Golden Falcons with a nine-hole score of 37 on Thursday at Lane Tree Golf Club. Jesse Stewart fired a 49 and Jordan Howell added a 53. Madison Aycock completed Aycock's scores with a 62. Rosewood had just two players participate.
The two teams meet again on Wednesday at Cardinal CC.
Charles B. Aycock 46, Rosewood 8
* PIKEVILLE -- The Golden Falcons' trio of Thomas Hinnant, Vincent Sapp, Jeremy Hooks combined for 440 yards rushing and six touchdowns. Hinnant led the way with 162 yards and a score. Sapp rumbled for 151 yards and three touchdowns and Jeremy Hooks added 127 yards and two touchdowns. Battle Burnett recorded seven tackles and Charlie Mills had five tackles.
Goldsboro 12, Eastern Wayne 0
* Ricardo Woodard had touchdown runs in the first and fourth quarters for the Cougars. Woodard finished with 87 yards rushing on 11 carries. Calum Sutton-Reid and Kahlil Wilson each had eight tackles. Shaun Ham, Aaquon Butler, Lavar Butts and Horace Floyd made seven stops apiece.
* Volleyball: North Duplin d. Hobbton 25-22, 25-8 -- Ansley Hill had six service aces for North Duplin. Brooke Carter supplied four aces and Jessica Jones added four kills, three digs and three aces.
* Volleyball: Eastern Wayne d. Spring Creek 25-18, 25-16 -- Diana Correno had six aces and two assists for the Gators. Hannah Keel supplied four aces and a kill.
* Volleyball: Wayne Country Day d. Goldsboro -- Sarah Crooks had 14 service aces for the Chargers.
* Volleyball: Rosewood d. Southern Wayne 25-10, 25-7 -- Anna Ingram collected four kills, one block and two service aces in the Eagles' straight-set win. Scout Anderson contributed seven assists and three aces. Danielle Fail served five aces, while Crystal Allen supplied three kills. Rosewood improved to 4-1 overall.
Other Local Sports
- Williamson, Davis lead Dawgs on road
- Princeton-North Moore box score
- North Johnston 'D' shuts out North Lenoir
- Chargers dealt loss at The Brittany VI
- Beddingfield-Southern Wayne box score
- Franklinton defeats Wayne Christian, 3-0
- Roanoke Rapids edges Spring Creek in boys' soccer
- North Duplin-Lakewood box score
- Trojan spikers picked 4th in preseason poll
- Leopards turn back Rebels