Local Preps Digest
By From staff reports
Published in Sports on September 1, 2010 1:47 PM
Wayne Christian 3, Northwood 0
* FAYETTEVILLE -- Wayne Christian swept Carolina Christian 1-A Conference opponent Northwood Temple 25-15, 25-8, 25-15 on Tuesday.
Britney O'Hara provided six kills and Summer Brathwaite added four kills. Haley Greenwood tallied nine digs and Courtney Albritton recorded seven service aces.
Jessica Swets had six aces and Katie Isenhower handed out 14 assists. The Eagles (2-3 overall, 2-1 CCC) entertain Oakwood on Thursday.
Farmville Central 3,
Greene Central 0
* FARMVILLE -- Greene Central dropped its Eastern Plains 2-A Conference opener 25-13, 25-11, 25-17 against Farmville Central on Tuesday.
Peri Dail paced the Rams with four kills and block. Kortney McQueen had three blocks and a kill. Greene Central (3-5 overall, 0-1 EPC) visits North Pitt on Thursday.
Triton 3, Charles B. Aycock 0
* ERWIN -- Charles B. Aycock was dealt a 25-13, 25-11, 25-20 loss in its Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference opener at defending champion Triton on Tuesday.
Connor Davis recorded six kills for the Golden Falcons and Madison Mercer had four kills. Aycock (3-2 overall, 0-1 ECC) plays host to non-conference opponent Wilson Hunt today.
South Johnston 3,
Eastern Wayne 0
* FOUR OAKS -- Eastern Wayne opened Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference play with a 25-5, 25-12, 25-10 loss at South Johnston. Sydney Potter had six service points and Lura Hulse had three. The Warriors (2-6 overall, 0-1 ECC) travel to ECC newcomer Cleveland High School on Thursday.
Charles B. Aycock 1,
South Granville 0
* CREEDMOOR -- Tyler Lynch scored the game's only goal off an assist from Juan Pina in the 29th minute as Charles B. Aycock completed a non-conference sweep of South Granville.
Golden Falcons' keeper Brandon Davis recorded six saves, including a stop on a penalty kick in the 35th minute. It was Aycock's third shutout of the season.
The Golden Falcons (4-1-0 overall) open Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference play at Triton tonight.
Charles B. Aycock 8,
South Johnston 1
* FOUR OAKS -- Charles B. Aycock improved to 2-0 in Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference play with an 8-1 win at South Johnston on Tuesday afternoon.
Katie Gurley, Harlie Howard, Brittany Parrish, Misty Edwards and Tiffany Godwin each earned singles victories for the Golden Falcons. The doubles teams of Abbey Strickland-Gurley, Howard-Edwards and Parrish-Godwin were also winners.
Aycock (2-3 overall, 2-0 ECC) visits non-conference foe East Duplin today.
Greene Central 9, Kinston 0
* KINSTON -- Greene Central cruised past Eastern Plains 2-A Conference foe Kinston 9-0 on Tuesday.
Lauren Carraway, Jessica Hatch, Hayes Lovett, Brittany Colie, Laurie Sutton and Kayla Radford all prevailed in singles play for the Rams.
The doubles teams of Carraway-Hatch, Lovett-Colie and Sutton-Radford were also winners.
Greene Central (5-4 overall, 2-0 EPC) travels to SouthWest Edgecombe on Thursday.
Eastern Wayne 6, Rocky Mount 3
* ROCKY MOUNT -- Janielle Daniel, Grace Delbridge, Amber Miller and Joann Talton all recorded wins in singles play for the Warriors. The doubles teams of Daniel-Talton and Miller-Jackie Johnson were also victorious.
Eastern Wayne (4-2 overall) visits Wilson Fike today.
Wayne Country Day 5,
Faith Christian-Rocky Mount 4
* ROCKY MOUNT -- Sarah Best, Mack Thompson and Mollie Catherine McDonald all prevailed in singles play for the Chargers.
The teams of Best-Thompson and Meredith Roethling-McDonald were also winners in doubles play.
Wayne Country Day (2-1 overall) faces Eastern Wayne's junior varsity team on Thursday.
Walnut Creek Ladies
* Charlotte Campbell took home play-of-the-day honors. Betty Holloway and Mary Morris shared low gross. Dot Julian captured low net and Maureen Prys prevailed in low putts.
Lane Tree Ladies
* Debbie Edgerton was the game-of-the-week winner and Mary Ann Sutton earned low net. Barbara Hill captured low putts.
* Soccer: Charles B. Aycock 6, South Granville 0 -- Collin Zacharzuck scored twice for the Golden Falcons. Arnuifo Diaz, Billy Lynch, Lawrence Dugom and Adrian Guttierrez each added a goal. Aycock (2-0-0 overall) entertains Wilson Fike on Sept. 7.
* Volleyball: Rosewood d. Southern Wayne 25-10, 25-10 -- Scout Anderson tallied seven assists, three service aces and a dig for the Eagles. Stephanie Hall contributed six assists and Anna Ingram had seven aces, four kills and a block. Heather Lancaster chipped in five kills.
* Volleyball: Wayne Christian d. Northwood Temple 24-26, 25-18, 25-18 -- Katie Cainous collected eight service aces and four kills for the Eagles. Rachel McCollum provided nine aces and three kills. Kaylee Wallace had four aces and six kills.
* Volleyball: Triton d. Charles B. Aycock 25-12, 25-16 -- Meredith Burroughs had five kills for the Golden Falcons (2-2 overall, 0-1 Eastern Carolina 3-A).
* Volleyball: South Johnston d. Eastern Wayne 25-21, 25-22 -- Kelly Sasser and Erica Duke each recorded eight service points for the Warriors (6-1 overall, 0-2 Eastern Carolina 3-A).