By Rudy Coggins
Published in Sports on September 2, 2010 1:46 PM
Wayne Country Day 7, Goldsboro 5
* Wayne Country Day needed a pair of goals in the final minutes to upend Goldsboro 7-5 on Wednesday afternoon.
The Cougars took an early 3-1 lead on goals by Bryan Johnson, Kendrick Lemmon and Jeff Martinez in the first half. The Chargers rallied to tie the score before the break on a pair of goals by Cody Neal.
Goldsboro opened the second half strong as Martinez tallied his second goal and Alan Odom added the Cougars' final score. Wayne Country Day got goals from Hil Tanner and Tyson Pearson to keep pace, and two additional markers by Neal to ensure the win.
Wayne Country Day (4-3-0 overall) plays host to Trinity-Durham today. Goldsboro (0-5-0) entertains North Johnston on Tuesday.
C.B. Aycock 3, Triton 0
* ERWIN -- C.B. Aycock's defense posted its fourth shutout of the season, and the Golden Falcons won their Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference opener over Triton on Wednesday.
Travis Musselman, Chase Thompson and Juan Pina each scored one goal for the Golden Falcons. Tyler Lynch and Billy Leggett each finished with one assist.
Brandon Davis logged seven saves in the victory.
C.B. Aycock (5-1-0 overall, 1-0-0 ECC) plays host to Rosewood tonight.
Wayne Christian 3,
* FAYETTEVILLE -- Jordan Crouthamel notched one goal and one assist in the Eagles' victory over Carolina Christian 1-A Conference member Northwood Temple.
Chase Darden and Chris Smith added one goal apiece. Tyler Mooring provided an assist.
Wayne Christian (5-2-0 overall, 3-0-0 CCC) entertains Trinity-Raleigh on Friday.
Wayne Christian 5, Terra Ceia 2
* Chase Darden recorded his first hat trick (three goals) of the season in a non-conference triumph over the Knights. Darden and starting goalie Chase King combined for five saves.
Jordan Crouthamel added a goal and an assist, while Victor Kokiko scored off Trey Hinto's assist. Nathan Taylor logged an assist.
Wilson Fike 5, Eastern Wayne 4
* WILSON -- Fike claimed two tiebreakers in singles and edged Eastern Wayne 5-4 on Wednesday afternoon.
Amber Miller and Joanne Talton emerged victorious in singles play for the Warriors. The tandems of Janielle Daniel-Talton and Jackie Johnson-Miller each earned a point during doubles play.
"This was another great showdown between these two teams," said Eastern Wayne head coach Kelly Matthews. "The girls fought hard."
Eastern Wayne (4-3 overall) travels to county rival Southern Wayne today.
North Johnston 3, Princeton 2
PRINCETON -- North Johnston rallied from two sets down to defeat county rival Princeton 24-26, 24-26, 25-21, 25-13, 15-8 on Wednesday night.
Savanna Massengill led the Bulldogs with eight kills, six blocks, four service aces and three digs. Kaitlyn Peedin tallied 15 digs and Traci Bridgers finished with nine aces.
Linda Smith handed out 15 assists.
Princeton (4-3 overall) entertains Bunn on Sept. 8.
Lakewood 3, North Duplin 0
CALYPSO -- Lakewood got its offense in gear early and never looked back in a 25-20, 25-21, 25-20 non-conference victory over North Duplin on Wednesday.
Scarlett Martin led the Rebels with five kills. Angelica Favela registered eight digs. Hannah Brock dished out eight assists.
North Duplin (3-4 overall) entertains North Johnston on Sept. 8.
* ROCKY MOUNT -- Bryan Johnson claimed first-place honors with a time of 18 minutes and 18 seconds during the Cougars' cross country meet at Rocky Mount Prep on Tuesday.
Mikayla Huf won the girls' race in 25:01.
Goldsboro did not have enough runners to register either a boys' or girls' team score.
C.B. Aycock 134, Rosewood 187
Tara Simmons carded a nine-hole score of 37 to take the medalist honors as C.B. Aycock downed Rosewood at Lane Tree Golf Club.
Jesse Stewart finished with a 47 for the Golden Falcons. Teammate Jordan Howell rounded out the team's score with a 50.
Taylor Brock and Chrystal Arthur each fired a round of 62 to lead the Eagles, who are in their first year of team competition. Taylor Gails added a 63.
Rosewood faces North Johnston today at the Cardinal Golf Club.
* Volleyball: W. Country Day d. St. Peter's Catholic 17-25, 25-22, 25-23 -- Sarah Crooks paced the Chargers with three kills and nine service aces. Taylor Sledge added three kills. Wayne Country Day improved to 2-2 overall.
* Volleyball: C.B. Aycock d. Wilson Hunt 25-20, 25-15 -- Meredith Burroughs led the Golden Falcons with five kills. C.B. Aycock improved to 3-2 overall.
* Volleyball: North Duplin d. Lakewood 25-12, 25-17 -- Jessica Jones led the Rebels with six kills. Ansley Hill tallied eight assists. North Duplin improved to 4-3 on the season.
* Volleyball: Princeton d. North Johnston (no score) -- Amber Hill led the Dogs with seven kills. Tori Paul and Jasmine Bombard added six kills apiece.