By From staff reports
Published in Sports on September 8, 2010 1:46 PM
Faith Christian 1,
Falls Road Christian 0
* ROCKY MOUNT -- Silas Denlinger scored in the 70th minute to break a scoreless tie as Faith Christian held off N.C. Christian Schools Association foe Falls Road Christian on Tuesday afternoon.
Denlinger took a direct kick from 30 yards out and deposited it in the back of the net.
Faith Christian (3-1-1 overall) entertains Berean Christian on Sept. 14.
North Lenoir 2, Rosewood 1
* LaGRANGE -- North Lenoir held off a furious rally in the final minutes to beat Rosewood 2-1 on Tuesday.
Zach Behrend tallied the Eagles' lone goal in the 70th minute.
Jacquez Raynor recorded 10 saves in the defeat.
Rosewood (0-2-0 overall) will play host to C.B. Aycock on Thursday.
James Kenan 3, Spring Creek 2
* KENANSVILLE -- James Kenan found early offense and held off Spring Creek 3-2 on Tuesday afternoon.
Antonio Avila and Ivan Lemus each tallied one goal for the Gators.
Spring Creek (1-1-2 overall) travels to Union today.
Greene Central 3, Kinston 1
* KINSTON -- Greene Central started slow but finished strong in a 22-25, 25-20, 28-26, 28-26 win over Kinston on Tuesday night.
Shannon Smith led the Rams with seven service aces and seven kills. Kaitlyn Napier added five kills and two blocks.
Greene Central (4-6 overall) entertains Ayden-Grifton today.
Wayne Country Day 3,
Waccamaw Academy 0
* Wayne Country Day proved too strong for Waccamaw Academy with a 25-10, 25-10, 25-17 victory on Tuesday afternoon.
Kim Martel led the Chargers' attack with 14 kills. Hannah Pearson tallied nine kills and eight assists. Sterling Coggins recorded four assists.
Wayne Country Day (3-1 overall) plays host to Flora MacDonald today at 5:30 p.m.
Falls Road Christian 3,
Faith Christian 0
* ROCKY MOUNT -- Faith Christian never got its offense going in a 25-7, 25-20, 25-6 defeat at the hands of N.C. Christian Schools Association opponent Falls Road Christian on Tuesday.
Abigail Pierce led the Conquerors with three kills. Charity Spencer tallied four digs.
Faith Christian (1-4 overall) entertains Berean Christian on Sept. 14.
Rocky Mount Prep 3, Goldsboro 1
* Goldsboro could not sustain enough momentum to overcome a strong showing by Rocky Mount Prep in a 20-25, 25-22, 25-17, 26-24 defeat on Tuesday night.
Kasheika Wallace led the Cougars' attack with 18 kills. Sterling Simmons added seven kills and seven aces.
Goldsboro (1-7 overall) opens Carolina 1-A Conference play Sept. 14 against North Duplin.
South Johnston 3, C.B. Aycock 0
* FOUR OAKS -- South Johnston led throughout a 25-18, 25-15, 25-20 victory over Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference foe C.B. Aycock on Tuesday night.
Madison Mercer and Connor Davis each tallied six kills in the defeat.
C.B. Aycock (3-4 overall, 0-2 ECC) plays host to Cleveland High School on Thursday.
Wayne Christian wins
* Connor Jones continued his impressive season with a first-place finish during Wayne Christian's four-team meet at Waynesborough Park on Tuesday.
Jones finished the course in 18 minutes and 53 seconds. Goldsboro's Bryan Johnson placed second in 19:21.
Wayne Christian finished first in the team standings with 20 points. Goldsboro was third with 42 points.
On the girls' side, Goldsboro's Mikayla Huf led the list of local runners with a fifth-place finish in 26:46 seconds. Sarah Allen paced Wayne Christian in 33:04. Neither Goldsboro nor Wayne Christian had enough female runners to record a team score.
Triton paces field
* PIKEVILLE -- Triton captured a pair of team victories as part of a three-team cross country meet at C.B. Aycock on Tuesday afternoon. The Hawks swept the meet.
Triton's W.A. Myatt led the field on the boys' side with a time of 18:39. C.B. Aycock's Dylan Bernel finished second place 19:02. Alex Rogers ran 10th for the Golden Falcons. Teammates Doug Watkins (11th), Jose Estrada (13th) and Corey Hans (14th) rounded out the team's score.
On the girls' side, Triton finished with the top seven runners in the meet.
Kendra Speight led the Golden Falcons with a time of 28:38, which was good enough for eighth place. C.B. Aycock did not have enough female runners to record a team score.
* Field hockey: Wayne Country Day 2, Cary Academy 0 -- Margaux Pope and Margaret Tanner each scored in the Chargers' first-ever victory in program history. Catherine Langston recorded both assists. Keeper Karis Hawkins logged the shutout in front of the box.
* Volleyball: Faith Christian d. Falls Road Christian 25-21, 25-11, 25-7 -- Hannah Stocks tallied eight service aces in the victory. Kayla Johnson led the Conquerors with four kills. Faith Christian improved to 3-1 on the season.
* Volleyball: South Johnston d. C.B. Aycock 25-16, 25-21 -- Karen Craig led the Golden Falcons with five kills. C.B. Aycock dropped to 2-4 overall.