By Ryan Hanchett
Published in Sports on September 9, 2010 1:47 PM
Eastern Wayne 3, Cleveland 0
* CLAYTON -- Eastern Wayne got a strong effort from its defense in a 3-0 shutout of Cleveland High School on Wednesday night.
Ryan Allison got the Warriors on the board in the 66th minute with an unassisted goal. Steven Taylor added a goal in the 78th minute and Ryan Jackson immediately followed with the final score one minute later.
Jason Horne tallied one assist in the win.
Eastern Wayne (1-3-0 overall) travels to state-ranked Wilson Fike on Monday.
Spring Creek 1, Union 0
* CLINTON -- Spring Creek rebounded from a loss to James Kenan earlier this week with a 1-0 shutout of Union on Wednesday afternoon.
Dante Ortiz scored the Gators' lone goal.
Spring Creek (2-2-1) will have a long layoff before traveling to Southern Wayne on Sept. 23.
C.B. Aycock 5, Wilson Hunt 3
* WILSON -- C.B. Aycock captured four singles points en route to a 5-3 win over former Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference rival Wilson Hunt on Wednesday.
Harlie Howard, Brittney Parrish, Misty Edwards and Caroline Bone each earned a win in singles play.
The tandem of Howard-Edwards claimed the Golden Falcons' lone point in doubles.
C.B. Aycock (3-5 overall) entertains Cleveland on Friday.
Eastern Wayne 6, Rocky Mount 3
* Eastern Wayne captured four hard-fought singles points en route to a victory over Rocky Mount on Wednesday.
Janielle Daniel, Grace Delbridge, Joann Talton and Amber Miller each claimed a victory in singles play for the Warriors.
The tandems of Morgan Jeffreys-Miller and Daniel-Talton each prevailed during doubles play.
Eastern Wayne (6-3 overall) travels to Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference foe Triton today.
Greene Central 8,
SouthWest Edgecombe 1
* PINETOPS -- Greene Central dominated singles play and bested Eastern Plains 2-A Conference foe SouthWest Edgecombe 8-1 on Wednesday afternoon.
Lauren Carraway, Hayes Lovett, Brittany Collie, Laurie Sutton and Kayla Radford each won their respective singles match for the Rams.
The tandems of Jessica Hatch-Carraway, Lovett-Collie, and Sutton-Radford each prevailed in doubles.
Greene Central improved to 8-4 overall.
Wayne Country Day 6,
Southern Wayne 3
* DUDLEY -- Wayne Country Day captured a pair of points in doubles action and held off Southern Wayne on Wednesday afternoon.
The tandems of Sarah Best-Mack Thompson and Mollie Catherine McDonald-Meredith Roethling each prevailed for the Chargers. Best, Thompson, McDonald and Roethling each also won their respective singles match.
Taylor Parker and Michala Best each earned a singles point for the Saints. The duo of Erica Strickland-Best prevailed in doubles.
Southern Wayne visits North Lenoir today.
North Johnston 3, North Duplin 0
* CALYPSO -- North Johnston held off a rally in the first set and went on to defeat North Duplin 26-24, 25-10, 25-16 on Wednesday night.
Tearra Ammons led the Rebels with six kills and two blocks. Angelica Favela tallied eight digs and Hannah Brock recorded 11 assists.
North Duplin (3-5 overall) opens Carolina 1-A Conference play Tuesday at Goldsboro.
Bunn 3, Princeton 1
* PRINCETON -- Early momentum proved hard to sustain as Princeton dropped a 23-25, 25-20, 25-18, 26-24 decision to Bunn on Wednesday.
Traci Bridgers led the Bulldawgs with 10 blocks. Kaitlyn Peedin finished with 20 digs and Hannah Woodard recorded five kills.
Princeton (4-4 overall) visits Smithfield-Selma on Monday.
Wayne Christian 3,
Cape Fear Christian 0
* Summer Brathwaite led the way with eight kills and five blocks as Wayne Christian handed Cape Fear Christian a 25-22, 26-24, 25-13 defeat on Tuesday afternoon.
Haley Greenwood added 22 digs and three aces for the Eagles. Katie Isenhower dished out 19 assists.
Wayne Christian (4-4 overall) travels to Community Christian today.
Wilson Fike 273, C.B. Aycock 291
* Perennial powerhouse Wilson Fike got one of the best rounds in school history from senior Mallory Warrick en route to a victory over C.B. Aycock.
Warrick torched the Lane Tree Golf Club layout for a 6-under par 66 to lead the Golden Demons.
Tara Simmons paced the Golden Falcons with a 1-under par round of 71. Jesse Stewart added a 108 and Jordan Howell finished with a 112.
C.B. Aycock will play at Lane Tree again on Monday against Southern Wayne.
Eagles finish third
* PINE LEVEL -- Wilson Beddingfield fired a team score of 171 to lead a five-team field that included Rosewood, Princeton and Southern Wayne on Wednesday at Cardinal Golf Club.
North Johnston (176) finished second and Rosewood (177) claimed third. Princeton (199) and Southern Wayne (204) rounded out the team scores.
The Eagles were paced by Taylor Brock's nine-hole round of 55. Chrystal Archer carded a 56 and Taylor Gayles added a 66.
Rosewood returns to action Sept. 16 at North Johnston.
* Volleyball: North Johnston d. North Duplin 25-17, 25-15 -- Lyndsie Harrell led the Rebels with three kills. Ansley Hill finished with three aces and three assists. North Duplin dropped to 4-4 on the season.
* Volleyball: Princeton d. Bunn 21-25, 25-5, 25-21 -- Amber Hill provided a match-high 14 kills, while Jasmine Bombard had nine kills and two service aces. Tori Paul recorded nine kills and six aces. Courtney Myers contributed six kills and five aces. The Bulldogs travel to Smithfield-Selma on Monday.