By Andrew Stevens
Published in Sports on September 10, 2010 1:46 PM
Wayne Christian 6,
Eastern Wayne JV 3
* Brooke Barfield, Faith Sutton, Taylor Willman and Elizabeth Sutton were each singles winners for the Eagles. The doubles teams of Barfield-F. Sutton and Willman-E. Sutton also prevailed.
Sydney Villarreal and Cailey Solomon earned singles victories for the Warriors. The team of Villareal-Solomon was victorious in doubles play.
Wayne Christian plays host to Cape Fear Christian on Monday at Herman Park.
Spring Creek 8, Goldsboro 1
* SEVEN SPRINGS -- Emily Daniel, Heather Frye, Katlyn Casey, Brittany Carmack and Anna Haggergy each collected a singles victory in the Gators' season-opening win over Carolina 1-A opponent Goldsboro.
The doubles team of Daniel-Tara Davis, Frye-Daysi Ramirez and Casey-Carmack were also winners.
Spring Creek (1-0 overall, 1-0 CC) entertains North Duplin on Tuesday.
Greene Central 9, North Pitt 0
* BETHEL -- Lauren Carraway, Jessica Hatch, Hayes Lovett, Brittany Collie, Laurie Sutton and Kayla Radford each contributed a singles victory in the Rams' Eastern Plains 2-A Conference contest.
The doubles teams of Carraway-Hatch, Lovett-Colie and Sutton-Radford also prevailed.
Greene Central (9-4 overall, 4-0 EPC) visits Cardinal Gibbons on Tuesday.
Southern Wayne 8, North Lenoir 1
* LaGRANGE -- Jessica Best, Erica Strickland, Taylor Parker, Michala Best, Mollieanne Kennedy and Taylor Davis each collected singles wins for the Saints.
The teams of Kennedy-Hope Rose and Cierra Moody-Kelsey Vasquez also prevailed. The duo of Tilghman Whitley-Laura Beth Dawson won at No. 2 doubles for the Hawks.
The Saints visit East Duplin on Monday.
Eastern Wayne 8, Triton 1
* Janielle Daniel, Grace Delbridge, Joann Talton, Amber Miller, Morgan Jeffreys were winners in singles play for the Warriors on the Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference scene.
The doubles teams of Miller Delbridge-Grace Delbridge, Daniel-Talton and Miller-Jeffreys were also victorious.
Eastern Wayne (7-3 overall, 4-0 ECC) entertains North Lenoir on Tuesday.
Wayne Christian 5,
Community Christian 0
* WILSON -- Gregory Alexander recorded a hat trick (three goals) for the second consecutive game, while teammates Baron Wise and Chase Darden added one goal apiece in the Carolina Christian 1-A game.
Jordan Crouthamel, Wise, Darden and Brandon Price each recorded an assist. Chase King and Alexander combined for the shutout in goal.
Wayne Christian (8-2 overall, 6-0 CCC) will participate in the Tidal Wave Invitational today and Saturday in Wilmington.
Wayne Country Day 5, Epiphany 1
* NEW BERN -- The Chargers erupted for five goals in the second half of their Coastal Plains Independent 1-A opener.
Tyson Pearson got the Chargers on the scoreboard in the 45th minute off an assist from Hil Tanner. Tanner scored a minute later and Pearson scored again in 49th minute off an assist from Douglas Williams. Pearson scored for the third time in the 52nd minute off Tanner's assist. Tanner capped the scoring in the 68th minute.
Wayne Country Day (6-4-0 overall, 1-0-0 CPIC) entertains Wayne Christian on Monday.
Wayne Christian 3,
Community Christian 0
* WILSON -- Summer Brathwaite pounded out a career-high nine kills for the Eagles in Carolina Christian 1-A Conference action.
Jessica Swets contributed six kills, five aces and two blocks. Courtney Albriton finished with 12 digs, five aces and three kills. Rachel McCollum also had 12 digs.
Wayne Christian (5-4 overall, 5-1 CCC) is playing in the North Raleigh Christian tournament this weekend.
Greene Central 3,
SouthWest Edgecombe 0
* SNOW HILL -- Kaitlyn Napier tallied 11 kills, five aces and a block for the Rams in their Eastern Plains 2-A outing. Peri Dail supplied seven kills and two blocks. Courtney Phillips handed out 17 assists.
Greene Central (5-7 overall, 2-2 EPC) entertains Tarboro on Tuesday.
* RALEIGH -- Wayne Christian's Connor Jones finished as the top male runner among 75 competitors in a seven-team meet at Wake Christian Academy.
Jones finished in a time of 17 minutes, 59 seconds. Teammate Mark Sawyer was 12th in 20:45. Ben Sawyer finished 13th with a time of 21:48.
Wake Christian won the boys portion of the meet with a team score of 29 points. Wayne Christian was second with 33 points.
Kayla Kennedy was the Eagles' top female runner finishing in 20th place with a time of 29:44. Sarah Allen was 21st and Christian Foster was 25th. Wayne Christian did not record a team score.
Charles B. Aycock 8, Goldsboro 6
* Jeremy Hooks scored a touchdown in the third quarter to give the Golden Falcons the lead for good. Hooks finished with 79 yards rushing. Tyrik Joyner had 63 yards on the ground and Vincent Sapp added 24 yards.
Cody Garris paced the Aycock defense with seven tackles. Charlie Mills had five stops. David Romo and Dylan Hinnant both intercepted passes.
Kevandre Kornegay scored Goldsboro's lone touchdown on a 55-yard run in the second quarter. Kornegay led the Cougars with 76 yards rushing and Ricardo Woodard had 63 yards.
Sherard Harvin recorded 12 tackles for the Goldsboro defense. Aquon Butler provided 10 stops and Ronald Woody had nine.
Eastern Wayne 56, Greene Central 34
* SNOW HILL -- Chris Allen scored four touchdowns for the Warriors and finished with 180 yards rushing. Alex Davilla hauled in an 18-yard touchdown pass from Jake Wiser. Jamal Barrett and Connor Preston both recovered fumbles for touchdowns.
* Football: Greenwood 30, Brogden 15 -- Greenwood quarterback Mitch Pike threw three touchdown passes and also ran for a score. Joseph Baker had three touchdown receptions. Halen Davis led the Greenwood defense. Greenwood (1-0 overall) visits Eastern Wayne on Thursday.
* Soccer: Brogden 5, Greenwood 1 -- Jesus Marcias scored twice for Brogden. Carlos Banegas, Alex Sandoval and Cesar Benitas each tacked on a goal. Brogden (1-0 overall) travels to Norwayne on Monday.
* Soccer: Wayne Christian 2, Community Christian 2 -- Nathan Taylor and Tyler Mozingo both scored for Wayne Christian in the second half. The Eagles (2-0-1) face Wayne Country Day on Monday.
* Soccer: Spring Creek 4, Eastern Wayne 0 -- Eric Carreno scored twice for the Gators. Teammates Otto Binar and Bryan Both added a goal.
* Volleyball: Rosewood d. Grantham 18-25, 25-16, 25-17, 25-23 -- Jordan DuBose supplied 13 service aces for Rosewood. Ashley Thornton finished with 10 aces and two kills. Callie Thornton contributed seven aces and three kills. Lexi Mercer had five aces and four kills.
* Volleyball: Spring Creek d. Eastern Wayne 25-18, 22-25, 26-24, 17-25, 15-11 -- Spring Creek (1-0 overall) entertains Eastern Wayne on Monday, while Eastern Wayne (0-1) visits Grantham.