By Andrew Stevens
Published in Sports on September 17, 2010 1:47 PM
Eastern Wayne 9, South Johnston 0
* Miller Delbridge, Janielle Daniel, Grace Delbridge, Joanna Talton, Amber Miller and Morgan Jeffreys all contributed singles victories in the Warriors' victory on the Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference ranks.
The teams of Daniel-Talton, G. Delbridge-Jeffreys and Brittany Scurlock-Takeyah Shaw swept the doubles.
Eastern Wayne (10-3 overall, 6-0 ECC) visits Greenville Rose on Monday.
Greene Central 9,
Wilson Beddingfield 0
* WILSON -- Greene Central remained unbeaten in the Eastern Plains 2-A Conference with a 9-0 victory at Wilson Beddingfield on Thursday afternoon.
Lauren Carraway, Jessica Hatch, Hayes Lovett, Brittany Colie, Laurie Sutton and Kayla Radford each recorded singles victories for the Rams. The doubles teams of Carraway-Hatch, Lovett-Colie and Sutton-Radford also prevailed.
Greene Central (9-6 overall, 4-0 EPC) entertains Edenton Holmes on Monday.
Spring Creek 2
* AYDEN -- Jordan Cook collected the Gators' lone victory in singles play against defending Carolina Conference champion Ayden-Grifton.
The team of Katlyn Casey-Brittany Carmack was victorious at No. 2 doubles.
Spring Creek (2-1 overall, 2-1 CC) entertains Rosewood on Tuesday.
Wayne Country Day 6,
Eastern Wayne JV 3
* Sarah Best, Mack Thompson, Mollie Catherine McDonald and Meredith Roethling each collected singles victories for the Chargers at Wayne Community College.
The doubles teams of Best-Thompson and Roethling-McDonald also prevailed.
Brittany Brinson and Cailey Soloman earned singles wins for the Warriors. The team of Jackie Johnson-Leslie Wiggins won at No. 2 doubles for Eastern Wayne.
Wayne Country Day (6-1 overall) visits Cape Fear Christian on Tuesday.
Crossroads Christian 3, Wayne Christian 2
* After earning a five-set victory at Crossroads Christian on Tuesday, the Eagles lost a five-set decision 14-25, 32-30, 26-24, 21-25, 17-15 to Crossroads at home on Thursday.
Britney O'Hara led Wayne Christian with a career-high 17 kills to go with 28 digs. Jessica Swets recorded seven kills. Katie Isenhower handed out 27 assists. Haley Greenwood pitched in nine aces and 32 digs.
Katie Caviness added 27 digs.
The Eagles (6-6 overall, 6-2 CCC) travel to Grace Christian on Tuesday.
Wilson Beddingfield 3, Greene Central 0
* WILSON -- Courtney Phillips distributed 11 assists for the Rams. Shannon Smith collected four kills and Kaitlyn Napier had three kills.
Greene Central (5-9 overall, 2-4 EPC) entertains Farmville Central on Thursday.
Triton 3, Eastern Wayne 0
* ERWIN -- Tiffany Gussenhosen tallied six digs, a kill and a block for the Warriors. Lura Hulse added a kill, a dig and a block.
Eastern Wayne (3-9 overall, 1-3 ECC) visits Cleveland on Monday.
Wayne Country Day 3, Epiphany 2
* Kim Martell had 11 kills for the Chargers and Hannah Pearson contributed 11 kills and six aces in their Coastal Plains Independent 1-A Conference opener.
Jessica Zhou tallied 16 digs and Sterling Coggins added 10 assists.
The Chargers (9-2 overall, 1-0 CPIC) play host to Waccamaw on Monday.
Ayden-Grifton 3, Spring Creek 0
* AYDEN -- Brittany Collier supplied six assists, two kills and two aces for the Gators. Kelsey Rogers had five kills, three aces and two blocks.
Spring Creek (1-5 overall, 0-2 CC) plays host to Rosewood on Tuesday.
Rosewood 6, Rocky Mount Prep 1
* ROCKY MOUNT -- Rosewood got its offense going in the second half of a 6-1 non-conference win at Rocky Mount Prep on Thursday. The Eagles got on the board in the first half thanks to an own goal by Rocky Mount Prep.
Antonio Henriques scored twice for Rosewood in the second half. Zach Behrend, Jacob Holliday and Bret Robinson also provided goals.
Jonathan Franks recorded an assist.
The Eagles (1-3 overall) play host to Rocky Mount Prep on Tuesday.
Greenfield 2, Wayne Country Day 1
* WILSON -- Bryce Creger scored for the Chargers off an assist from Max Park in the 20th minute against the Knights.
Both teams finished with 14 shots on goal.
Wayne Country Day (8-5-0 overall, 2-1-0 CPIC) entertains Faith Christian of Rocky Mount on Tuesday.
Charles B. Aycock 24, Wilson Fike 16
* PIKEVILLE -- Tyrik Joyner paced the Golden Falcons' offense with 64 yards rushing and a touchdown. Jeremy Hooks added 60 yards on the ground. Vincent Sapp had 41 yards rushing and a touchdown.
E.J. Hooks scored on a 50-yard punt return.
Quarterback Brett Mariner was 2 for 2 passing for 29 yards.
Khalil Owens led the defense with eight tackles and two sacks. Daniel Romo pitched in seven tackles. Cody Garris, Broc Doyle and Hooks each had six stops.
Goldsboro 8, Washington 0
* Goldsboro turned a third-and-five situation into a 28-yard, game-winning touchdown pass from Shawn Ham to Horace Floyd with a little more than four minutes remaining in the third quarter against the Pam Pack.
Floyd led the Cougars with 61 yards rushing on 10 carries. Ham finished 6 for 10 passing.
Sherard Harvin paced the defense with 12 tackles. Aaquon Butler contributed 11 tackles and Justin Cates added 10 stops. Ham had two interceptions and Cates and Kahlil Wilson each recovered a fumble.
Opponents are averaging two points a game against the Goldsboro defense.
The Cougars (3-1 overall) entertain Southern Wayne on Thursday.
* Volleyball: Rosewood d. Goldsboro 25-10, 25-16 -- Alicia Burns contributed five aces for the Eagles and Amanda Beckert had four aces. Rosewood (6-2, 2-0 CC) entertain Midway on Monday.
* Volleyball: Princeton d. North Duplin 25-21, 25-17 -- Tori Paul collected seven kills for the Bulldawgs. Amber Hill provided six kills and four aces and Courtney Myers had six kills. Logan Jones finished with five kills and five aces. Ansley Hill distributed nine assists for the Rebels. Lyndsie Harrell added seven kills and three aces. Jessica Jones supplied seven digs and five kills. Princeton plays host to Smithfield-Selma on Monday. North Duplin (5-5 overall, 1-1 CC) entertains Ayden-Grifton on Tuesday.
* Volleyball: Triton d. Eastern Wayne 25-6, 25-11 -- Eastern Wayne (7-5, 0-4 ECC) entertains North Lenoir on Tuesday.
* Volleyball: Ayden-Grifton d. Spring Creek 25-16, 25-19 -- Alyssa Borja, Janna Price and Katherine Snow all recorded two aces for Spring Creek.
* Volleyball: Epiphany d. Wayne Country Day 25-16, 25-10 -- Taylor Sledge had two kills for the Chargers (3-6, 0-1 CPIC). Rachel Uzzell and Grace Gurley both recorded an ace.
* C.B. Aycock 14, Spring Creek JV 7 -- Jay Suber rushed for 105 yards and a touchdown for the Golden Falcons. Michael Williams completed five passes for 75 yards and a TD. Tazmont Groves had a 60-yard kickoff return, while Dillon Baker accumulated 70 all-purpose yards. Trae Woodard paced the defense with eight tackles. Middle linebacker Tristen O'Brien supplied seven tackles.
* Football: Norwayne 42, Mount Olive 0 -- Bobby Hampton threw two touchdown passes and tacked on a rushing touchdown. Noah West supplied a touchdown reception and a touchdown pass to Stanton Head. Jordan West had a rushing touchdown and Will Walters hauled in a touchdown pass. Jerrez Lynch also scored a rushing touchdown. The Norwayne defense forced three turnovers. Norwayne plays host to Grantham on Thursday.
* Volleyball: Norwayne d. Mount Olive 25-11, 25-7. 25-13 -- Norwayne (2-0 overall) entertains Dillard on Monday.
* Volleyball: Rosewood d. Spring Creek 25-12, 21-25, 25-6, 25-15 -- Lexi Mercer recorded 21 aces for the Eagles. Callie Thornton finished with seven aces and six kills. Rosewood (4-0 overall) plays host to Eastern Wayne on Monday.
Other Local Sports
- Swansboro overpowers Spring Creek
- Goldsboro runs past Washington
- Washington-Goldsboro boxscore
- Weekend preps digest
- Rosewood - N. Johnston boxscore
- Southern Wayne drops Louisburg for first win
- S. Wayne-Louisburg boxscore
- Swansboro - S. Creek boxscore
- North Duplin survives Dixon in overtime
- North Duplin-Dixon boxscore