By From staff reports
Published in Sports on September 21, 2010 1:46 PM
Goldsboro 6, Rocky Mount Prep 1
* ROCKY MOUNT -- Goldsboro scored four times in the opening half, and claimed a non-conference victory over Rocky Mount Prep on Monday night.
Damon Pate tallied two goals and an assist in the victory. Alan Odom also carded two goals and one assist for the Cougars.
"I was really proud of Alan and Damon tonight because they were willing to be the work horses," said Goldsboro head coach Tyler Gatlin. "I thought we came out sluggish, but those two guys really got us going."
Stephen Richardson added a goal and an assist in the victory.
Jeff Martinez tallied one goal.
Goldsboro (2-6-1 overall) kicks off its Carolina 1-A Conference season Sept. 27 at Ayden-Grifton.
Faith Christian-RM 1, Wayne Christian 0
* ROCKY MOUNT -- Wayne Christian gave up a late goal en route to a 1-0 defeat at Faith Christian of Rocky Mount on Monday evening.
Chase King tallied 13 saves in goal for the Eagles.
Wayne Christian fell to 9-4-0 overall. The Eagles travel to Grace Christian of Raleigh today.
Princeton 3, Smithfield-Selma 2
* Princeton rallied for a come-from-behind 27-25, 25-19, 25-21, 25-12, 16-4 victory over Smithfield Selma on Monday night.
Savannah Massengill led the Bulldogs with 13 kills and three blocks. Hannah Woodard added 12 kills. Linda Smith recorded 41 assists.
Princeton (7-5 overall) jumps back into Carolina 1-A Conference play today at home against Goldsboro.
Midway 3, Rosewood 2
* Rosewood could not hold keep an early advantage and eventually fell 24-26, 25-13, 25-17, 23-25, 17-15 to Midway on Monday night.
Ellen Morgan led the Eagles with nine kills and five blocks. Rachel Kornegay added seven kills. Alyssa Spell dished out 10 assists.
Rosewood (8-3 overall) travels to Spring Creek today for a Carolina 1-A Conference clash.
Cleveland 3, Eastern Wayne 0
* CLAYTON -- Eastern Wayne never got its offense in gear in a 25-16, 25-16, 25-16 defeat at the hands of Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference newcomer Cleveland High School on Monday.
Eastern Wayne (3-10 overall, 1-4 ECC) entertains North Lenoir today.
Wayne Country Day 3, Waccamaw 0
* Hannah Pearson served 10 aces, passed four assists and pounded out five kills in the Chargers' 25-12, 25-16, 25-13, non-conference victory Monday afternoon. Kim Martell supplied six kills and three aces.
Sterling Coggins contributed six assists and four aces. Sarah Crooks collected 10 aces. Brooke Neal and Natalie Ecker served five aces apiece.
Wayne Country Day (10-2 overall) travels to Trinity-Fayetteville today.
C.B. Aycock prevails
* CLAYTON -- Tara Simmons carded a 3-under par 32 to lead C.B. Aycock to a victory over the Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference field at Pine Hollow Golf Club.
Jesse Stewart added a round of 42 for the Golden Falcons. Jordyn Howell (52) and Madison Aycock (58) rounded out the victors ledger.
South Johnston (181) finished second in the team standings. Cleveland (188) came home third and Southern Wayne (212) trailed the field.
The next ECC golf match takes place Oct. 4 at Southern Wayne Country Club.
* Volleyball: Rosewood d. Midway 25-10, 25-22 -- Anna Ingram led the Eagles with five kills and six aces. Heather Lancaster finished with three blocks. Rosewood improved to 7-3 overall.
* Volleyball: Princeton d. Smithfield-Selma 25-13, 25-7 -- Amber Hill led the Dawgs with 14 kills. Logan Jones added four kills and three aces. Princeton will host Goldsboro today.
* Volleyball: Rosewood d. Eastern Wayne 25-16, 25-11, 25-20 -- Lexi Mercer led the Eagles with 11 aces and two kills. Callie Thornton tallied 10 kills and Jordan Dubose added seven aces. Rosewood improved to 5-0 overall.
* Volleyball: Spring Creek d. Greenwood 25-20, 25-13, 4-25, 20-25, 15-13 -- Sarah Ford led the Gators with three kills. Zaira Resendiz finished with three aces. Spring Creek improved to 3-1 overall.
* Goldsboro Mitey Mites 24, West Craven Mitey Mites 14 -- Isaac Rodgers scored all four touchdowns for Goldsboro. Cal Reese, Kai Crawford and Cade Re also played well offensively. Defensive standouts were Elia McLean, Marrio Thompson and Ji-Sean Artis. Goldsboro (2-1 overall) plays host to Jacksonville on Saturday. Kickoff is 11:30 a.m. at Goldsboro High School.
Other Local Sports
- Eagles shut down Jaguars
- Preps Thursday
- Rosewood cross country meet
- Brayboy expected to start for Gators
- Carolina 1-A cross country results
- Carolina 1-A cross country meet at Rosewood
- Mount Olive College sports
- Taylor 'dresses down' team after shutout victory in CPIC play
- Wayne Country Day School soccer
- Eastern Wayne cross country