By Rudy Coggins
Published in Sports on September 23, 2010 1:47 PM
Eastern Wayne 2, Triton 1
* ERWIN -- Eastern Wayne broke a second-half tie in the 66th minute and defeated Triton 2-1 on the Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference boys' soccer scene Wednesday evening.
Jason Horne opened the scoring for the Warriors with a goal in the 49th minute. Triton's Jorge Castillo tied the game in the 65th minute, but Ryan Allison devivered the deciding goal just seconds later.
Jordan Furgeson tallied four saves in the victory.
Eastern Wayne (3-5-0 overall, 3-2 ECC) entertains North Lenoir on Monday night.
Southern Wayne 2, North Lenoir 1
* LaGRANGE -- Southern Wayne opened a pair of back-to-back games with a 2-1 win over Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference foe North Lenoir on Wednesday.
Jesus Rodriquez and Jose Rodriquez each tallied a goal for the Saints.
Southern Wayne (3-6-0 overall, 3-2-0 ECC) entertains Spring Creek today.
Rosewood 3, RM Prep 0
* Zach Behrend notched one goal and one assist in the Eagles' non-conference victory Monday evening at Branch Pope Field.
Behrend scored in the 20th minute off Jonathan Franks' assist. Brett Robinson converted a header off Behrend's assist 10 minutes into the second half.
The Eagles also benefited from an own goal.
Keeper Jacquez Raynor (one save) earned the shutout between the pipes.
Eastern Wayne 9, Cleveland 0
* Three-time defending Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference champion Eastern Wayne lost just five games in singles and doubles play combined against the Rams.
Miller Delbridge, Janielle Daniel, Joann Talton, Amber Miller, Morgan Jeffreys and Brittany Scurlock each picked up a singles point. M. Delbridge-Miller, J. Daniel-Talton and Jeffreys-Scurlock all prevailed in doubles action.
The Warriors won their 39th consecutive ECC match.
Eastern Wayne (11-4 overall, 9-0 ECC) entertains Southern Wayne on Sept. 28.
Rocky Mount 8, C.B. Aycock 1
* Charles B. Aycock failed to capture a single point in singles play en route to an 8-1, non-conference loss to Rocky Mount on Wednesday.
The tandem of Harlie Howard-Misty Edwards picked up the Golden Falcons lone victory in doubles action.
C.B. Aycock (7-7 overall) jumps back into Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference play today against South Johnston.
C.B. Aycock 143, Beddingfield 160
* Tara Simmons paced the field with a nine-hole score of 39 as C.B. Aycock bested Wilson Beddingfiled on Wednesday afternoon at Lane Tree Golf Club.
Jordyn Howell fired a 50 for the Golden Falcons and Jesse Stewart rounded out the victors team score with a 54.
C.B. Aycock travels to Beddingfield on Sept. 29.
Other Local Sports
- Inspired Saints defense shuts down Cougars' vaunted rushing attack
- Eagles enter bye week with momentum
- Gators score early, but Dixon notches home win
- Spring Creek-Dixon box
- Tanner's goal salvages 3-3 draw for WCDS
- SW-Goldsboro box
- Queens records pair of one-goal victories over MOC in soccer
- Princeton -South Robeson box
- Oliver, Rebels claim second consecutive victory
- NL-Pamlico box