Local Preps Digest
By From staff reports
Published in Sports on September 24, 2010 1:47 PM
Southern Wayne 8, Cleveland 1
* DUDLEY -- Southern Wayne defeated Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference opponent Cleveland 8-1 on Thursday.
Jessica Best, Erica Strickland, Taylor Parker, Michala Best, Mollianne Kennedy and Taylor Davis were each victorious in singles play for the Saints. The doubles teams of Strickland-Best and Parker-Kennedy were also winners.
Southern Wayne (5-7 overall, 3-4 ECC) entertains Rosewood on Monday.
C.B. Aycock 8, South Johnston 1
* PIKEVILLE -- Charles B. Aycock cruised past Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference foe South Johnston 8-1 on Thursday afternoon.
Harlie Howard, Brittany Parrish, Misty Edwards, Caroline Bone and Tiffany Godwin all earned singles wins for the Golden Falcons. The doubles teams of Katie Gurlie-Parrish, Howard-Edwards and Bone-Godwin were also victorious.
Aycock (8-7 overall, 6-1 ECC) visits Cleveland on Tuesday.
Greene Central 9, Kinston 0
* SNOW HILL -- Greene Central routed Eastern Plains 2-A Conference opponent Kinston 9-0 on Thursday afternoon.
Lauren Carraway, Jessica Hatch, Hayes Lovett, Brittany Colie, Laurie Sutton and Kayla Radford each recorded a singles win for the Rams. The doubles teams of Carraway-Hatch, Lovett-Colie and Sutton-Radford also prevailed.
Greene Central (11-7, 6-1 EPC) entertains SouthWest Edgecombe on Tuesday.
Wayne Christian 6,
Wayne Country Day 3
* Wayne Christian turned back county rival Wayne Country Day 6-3 on Thursday afternoon at Wayne Community College.
Brooke Barfield, Faith Sutton, Taylor Willman and Reagan Hinton were all winners in singles play for the Eagles. The teams of Barfield-Sutton and Willman-Hinton were victorious in doubles play.
Mollie McDonald and Meredith Roethling earned singles wins for Wayne Country Day. Roethling-McDonald also prevailed in doubles play.
Eastern Wayne 9, Havelock 0
* HAVELOCK -- Eastern Wayne rolled through singles play and shut out Havelock 9-0 on Wednesday afternoon.
Miller Delbridge, Janielle Daniel, Grace Delbridge, Joann Talton, Amber Miller and Jackie Johnson each prevailed during singles play for the Warriors.
The tandems of Miller Delbridge-Miller, Grace Delbridge-Johnson and Daniel-Talton each won their respective doubles matches.
Eastern Wayne (12-4 overall) plays host to Southern Wayne on Sept. 28.
Wayne Country Day 3, Greenfield 0
Hannah Pearson supplied six kills, four digs and four aces. Sterling Coggins chipped in seven assists and Brooke Neal had five aces. Jessica Zhou collected six digs.
Farmville Central 3, Greene Central 1
* SNOW HILL -- Maegan Letchworth supplied five kills for the Rams, while teammate Kaitlyn Napier added four kills and three blocks.
Greene Central (5-9 overall, 2-4 Eastern Plains 2-A) entertains North Pitt on Tuesday.
Liberty Christian 3, Faith Christian 0
* Abigail Pierce collected seven digs, three blocks and two kills for Faith Christian. Taylor Downey tallied four digs and three kills.
Triton 3, Charles B. Aycock 0
* PIKEVILLE -- Bailee Hughes finished with eight kills for the Golden Falcons in their Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference match.
Connor Davis and Madison Mercer both had five kills.
Aycock (6-5 overall, 3-3 ECC) travels to North Lenoir on Tuesday.
Wayne Country Day 1
* DURHAM -- Hil Tanner scored the Chargers' lone goal off Jacob Parks' assist in the 65th minute.
Wayne Country Day (9-6 overall) plays host to The Epiphany School today.
Jones wins 10th straight
* ROCKY MOUNT -- Wayne Christian's Connor Jones won his 10th consecutive meet by finishing in 19 minutes and 28 seconds in a five-team meet at Faith Christian of Rocky Mount on Thursday afternoon.
The Eagles' Spencer Foster crossed the finish line in sixth place in 23:25. Mark Sawyer was seventh, Will Garner finished ninth and Will Massey was 10th. Wayne Christian captured the boys' portion of the meet but team point totals were not provided.
Sarah Allen was the Eagles' top female finisher with a time of 32:54. Christina Foster recorded a time of 38:00 and Kayla Kennedy finished in 39:13.
Wayne Christian visits Flora McDonald on Thursday.
Lane Tree LGA
* Mary Ann Sutton claimed game-of-the-week honors on the Lane Tree Golf Club links.
Linda Watson and Novella Zambelli seized low net and low putts, respectively.
Ball nets ace
* Bobby Ball recorded a hole-in-one, the seventh of his career, while playing a round at Sleepy Creek Golf Club. Ball used a 9-iron to record the ace on the par-3, 116-yard No. 16 hole.
Lee Kearney witnessed the feat.
* Goldsboro 30, Southern Wayne 8 -- Ronald Woody scored a pair of rushing touchdowns for the Cougars and finished with 75 yards rushing on six carries. Ricardo Woodard supplied 56 yards on eight carries and a touchdown. Kevondre Kornegay tacked on a 30-yard touchdown run. Quarterback Shaun Ham was 8 for 12 passing for 85 yards.
Aaquon Butler led the defense with eight tackles. Woody and Raymond Barnes both recorded six stops. Rasheed Malette had an interception.
Goldsboro (4-1) begins Carolina 1-A Conference play at Ayden-Grifton on Thursday.
* Wilson Hunt 27, C.B. Aycock 6 -- Jeremy Hooks paced Aycock's rushing attack with 85 yards. Thomas Hinnant had 34 yards on the ground and 37 yards receiving. Cody Garris was 2 for 6 passing for 38 yards and a touchdown. Brett Marriner was 2 for 7 passing for 37 yards. Austin Westbrook tallied 10 receiving yards with a touchdown.
Khaliel Owens led the defense with 15 tackles. Charlie Mills had 10 tackles.
* Volleyball: Rosewood d. North Duplin 25-11, 25-20 -- Heather Lancaster supplied six kills and three blocks. Amanda Beckert delivered four service aces and five assists. Scout Anderson passed out a team-high eight assists. Crystal Allen (three kills), Anna Ingram (four aces, two blocks), Alicia Burns and Ashlynn Spell contributed to the straight-set victory. Rosewood (8-3 overall) remained unbeaten in four Carolina 1-A Conference matches.
* Volleyball: Princeton d. Ayden-Grifton 25-6, 25-11-- Lauren Woodard distributed 23 assists for the Bulldogs. Amber Hill contributed nine aces and seven kills. Jasmine Bombard added six kills and three aces. Princeton entertains Rosewood on Tuesday.
* Volleyball: Triton d. C.B. Aycock 25-13, 25-16 -- Meredith Burroughs tallied six kills for the Golden Falcons. Aycock (4-5, 1-4 ECC) visits North Lenoir on Tuesday.
* Football: Greenwood 50, Mount Olive 12 -- Greenwood quarterback Mitch Pike threw for more than 300 yards with four touchdown passes. Joe Baker had three touchdown receptions and more than 200 yards receiving. Bryce Jordan hauled in a 55-yard touchdown pass and Hardy Bryant had a 10-yard touchdown run. Antonio Hall returned an interception for a touchdown. Greenwood (2-1 overall) visits Norwayne on Thursday.
* Football: Norwayne 34, Grantham 22 -- Quahyiem Ward scored two touchdowns for Norwayne including a kickoff return for a score. Jordan West contributed a pair of rushing touchdowns. Jerrez Lynch added a rushing touchdown. Jimmy Ellis and Landon Moore led the team in tackles. Norwayne (2-0) entertains Greenwood on Thursday.
* Volleyball: Norwayne d. Grantham 25-16, 25-8, 25-19 -- Norwayne (4-0) travels to Rosewood on Monday.
* Volleyball: Rosewood d. Brogden 25-8, 25-22, 25-23 -- Kaylie Lyons tallied 12 aces for the Eagles and Jordan Dubose had 11 aces. Lexi Mercer provided six aces and Ashley Thornton added four aces. Rosewood entertains Norwayne on Monday.
* Volleyball: Spring Creek d. Dillard 25-15, 13-25, 25-8, 25-18 -- Sarah Ford and Stormy Westbrook each supplied four aces for the Gators. Spring Creek (4-1 overall) visits Grantham on Thursday.
Neuse River Youth
* 12-Under: Eastern Wayne 18, Spring Creek 14 -- Isaiah Hatchett emerged the Wee Warriors' top rusher with 140 yards. Lee Daniels completed seven passes, including touchdown receptions to Jacob Magera and Hatchett. Defensive leaders were Keyshawn Johnson, Khalik Green and Zachary Wilcox (fumble recovery). The Gators were paced by Ricky Steiner's 96 yards on the ground. Devonte Corrum added 80 yards rushing. Germar Buchanan recorded a fumble recovery on defense. Eastern Wayne improved to 2-0 overall, while Spring Creek fell to 0-2.
* 10-Under: Spring Creek 20, Eastern Wayne 6 -- Keonte Kittrell led the Gators with 121 yards and a touchdown on the ground. Jesse Casper added 41 yards and a score in the win.
Other Local Sports
- Inspired Saints defense shuts down Cougars' vaunted rushing attack
- Eagles enter bye week with momentum
- Gators score early, but Dixon notches home win
- Spring Creek-Dixon box
- Tanner's goal salvages 3-3 draw for WCDS
- SW-Goldsboro box
- Queens records pair of one-goal victories over MOC in soccer
- Princeton -South Robeson box
- Oliver, Rebels claim second consecutive victory
- NL-Pamlico box