Local Preps Digest
By Ryan Hanchett
Published in Sports on September 29, 2010 1:47 PM
Wayne Christian 3, Northwood 1
* Wayne Christian overcame a 1-0 halftime deficit for a 3-1 win over Carolina Christian 1-A Conference rival Northwood on Tuesday afternoon.
Chase Darden's goal off Gregory Alexander's assist in the 48th minute tied the game at 1-1. Alexander's goal from 35 yards out less than four minutes later put Wayne Christian ahead for good. Alexander scored again in the 54th minute to extend the lead to 3-1.
Wayne Christian (10-4-0 overall) visits Trinity of Raleigh on Friday.
Rosewood 2, Goldsboro 0
* Rosewood defeated Carolina 1-A Conference foe Goldsboro 2-0 on Tuesday evening at Branch Pope Field.
Zach Behrend scored off Antonio Henriques' assist midway through the first half. Jonathan Franks extended the Eagles' lead to 2-0 in the 71st minute, scoring on a rebound off Henriques' shot.
"It was another one of those games where we had a lot of possession and kept the ball on their end of the field," said Rosewood head coach Daniel Mitchell. "Our defense played well and we just didn't get the ball in the back of the net."
The Eagles entertain Wayne Country Day on Thursday. Goldsboro visits Spring Creek on Oct. 6.
"That was a tough loss for us," said Cougars' Tyler Gatlin head coach. "There's no doubt in my mind that all of my players gave me everything they had."
C.B. Aycock 9, Cleveland 0
* CLAYTON -- Charles B. Aycock rolled past Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference foe Cleveland 9-0 on Tuesday afternoon.
Katie Gurley, Misty Edwards, Caroline Bone, Tiffany Godwin, Rachel Jackson and Brooke Butts each collected a singles victory for the Golden Falcons.
The doubles teams of Abby Strickland-Brittany Parrish, Gurley-Jackson and Godwin-Bone also prevailed.
Aycock (9-7, 7-1 ECC) visits Triton on Thursday. The Golden Falcons and Hawks are currently tied for second place in the ECC.
Spring Creek 7, Goldsboro 2
* Spring Creek picked up a 7-2 victory at Carolina 1-A Conference foe Goldsboro on Tuesday afternoon.
Emily Daniel, Heather Frey, Katlyn Casey, Jordan Cook, Anna Haggerty and Brittany Carmack each recorded a victory in singles play for the Gators.
The doubles team of Daniel-Cook also won.
The tandems of Elisa Briggs-Hunter Hautzer and Randa Boykin-Brianna Dortch prevailed for the Cougars.
Spring Creek (4-1 overall, 4-1 CC) travels to North Duplin on Thursday. Goldsboro visits Ayden-Grifton.
Wayne Country Day 6,
Faith Christian-Rocky Mount 3
* Sarah Best, Mack Thompson, Mollie McDonald and Meredith Roethling each earned a singles win for the Chargers on the Coastal Plains Independent Conference scene.
The doubles teams of Best-Thompson and McDonald-Roethling also prevailed.
Wayne Country Day (7-2 overall, 2-0 CPIC) visits Oakwood on Thursday.
Eastern Wayne 8, Southern Wayne 1
* Miller Delbridge, Janielle Daniel, Grace Delbridge, Joann Talton and Amber Miller each earned singles victories for the Warriors.
The doubles teams of M. Delbridge-Miller, Daniel-Talton and Morgan Jeffreys-G. Delbridge also prevailed.
Taylor Davis collected Southern Wayne's lone point at No. 6 singles.
Eastern Wayne (12-4 overall, 8-0 ECC) visits Nash Central today.
Wayne Christian 3, Northwood 0
* Wayne Christian turned back Carolina Christian 1-A Conference opponent Northwood 25-14, 25-15, 25-15.
Haley Greenwood distributed 23 digs to go with seven aces. Katie Isenhower supplied 16 assists. Britney O'Hara added seven kills. Courtney Albriton had six aces and Rachel McCollum contributed five aces.
Jessica Swets pitched in five kills.
The Eagles (8-8 overall, 7-4 CCC) travel to Trinity of Raleigh on Friday.
North Duplin 3, Spring Creek 1
* SEVEN SPRINGS -- North Duplin knocked off Carolina 1-A Conference foe Spring Creek 25-11, 19-25, 25-21, 25-9 on Tuesday evening.
Hannah Brock dished out 15 assists for the Rebels. Tearra Ammons pounded out 11 kills. Skylar McCarty supplied six kills, three digs and three aces. Scarlett Martin had four digs, three kills and three aces.
Brittany Collier tallied five assists and three aces for the Gators. Kelsey Rogers had four kills.
North Duplin (6-7 overall, 3-2 CCC) plays host to Goldsboro on Thursday. Spring Creek visits Princeton.
Faith Christian 3, Berean Christian 1
* FAYETTEVILLE -- Faith Christian shook off a slow start and earned a 12-25, 25-14, 25-21, 25-19 win at Berean Christian on Tuesday.
Christina Powell contributed seven assists, six digs, four kills and four aces. Elizabethe Weeks tallied six kills, five aces and four digs. Abigail Pierce had six digs and three aces.
The Conquerors entertain Cornerstone Christian on Oct. 7.
North Lenoir 3, C.B. Aycock 1
* LaGRANGE -- Madison Mercer finished with eight kills for the Golden Falcons. Bailee Hughes had seven kills.
Aycock (6-6 overall, 3-4 ECC) entertains South Johnston on Thursday.
Ayden-Grifton 3, Goldsboro 0
* AYDEN -- Kasheika Wallace recorded nine blocks for Goldsboro and Brandy Johnson had five kills.
The Cougars (1-11 overall, 0-5 CC) travel to North Duplin on Thursday.
Rosewood 3, Cleveland 0
* Rosewood dropped newly-opened Cleveland High School 25-19, 25-21, 25-17 on Monday evening.
Ellen Morgan led the Eagles with nine kills and one block. Alyssa Spell handed out 14 assists. Rachyle McAlduff contributed three assists, five digs, two kills and two aces.
Kerri Jo Gurley added three kills, while Anna Ingram delivered two kills and three aces. Megann Tyndall chipped in two kills, five digs, three assists and four aces.
Rosewood continues play Thursday at Ayden-Grifton.
Wayne Country Day 3, Oakwood 1
* Wayne Country Day defeated fourth-ranked Oakwood 25-17, 25-23, 17-25, 25-16 on Tuesday.
Kim Martell tallied 12 digs, 10 kills, three aces and three blocks. Hannah Pearson contributed 20 kills, nine digs, three aces and two blocks. Jessica Zhou provided 22 digs and Sterling Coggins had nine assists.
The Chargers (13-3, 3-0 CPIC) travel to Faith Christian of Rocky Mount on Thursday.
Wayne Country Day 1
* DURHAM -- Kim Martell pounded out 14 kills and Hannah Pearson added 10 kills in the Chargers' 18-25, 23-25, 26-24, 6-25 loss to state-ranked Trinity-Durham on Monday.
Martell had 10 digs defensively, while Pearson had six assists and three digs. Edie Hooks and Sterling Coggins combined for 11 assists.
Jessica Zhou led the defense with 15 digs.
Cooper, Black pace Warriors
* Caleb Cooper and Laura Black were Eastern Wayne's top male and female runners in a Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference tri-meet with Triton and Cleveland on Tuesday in New Hope.
The Hawks' Nathaniel Turley was the top male runner with a time of 18 minutes, 46 seconds. Triton's Anthony Morris crossed the line in second place in 19:25. Cooper finished third in 19:46 and teammate Warren Kirkwood was fifth in 19:57.
The Hawks won the boys' portion of the meet with a team score of 32. Eastern Wayne was second with 32 points and Cleveland earned a score of 54.
Triton claimed the top five spots in the girls' portion of the race, led by Laura Godwin's time of 23:05. Black finished in sixth place in 25;45 and Kristen Larson was eighth in 26:24.
The Hawks compiled a team score of 15 while the Warriors tallied a 47. Cleveland did not record a team score.
Lane Tree Ladies Association
* Theresa Shearin claimed game of the week honors. Barbara Hill earned low net and Mary Ann Sutton seized low putts.
* Volleyball: Princeton d. Rosewood 25-19, 25-20-- Lauren Woodard distributed 22 assists for the Bulldogs. Logan Jones added four kills and three aces. Alicia Burns had five digs for the Eagles. Aslynn Spell provided six digs.
* Volleyball: North Duplin d. Spring Creek 25-20, 25-12 -- Ansley Hill finished with five assists, three kills and three aces for the Rebels (6-7, 2-3 CC). Mia Owens added four kills. Diana Carreno had three aces for Spring Creek.
* Volleyball: Wayne Christian d. Northwood 25-14, 25-20 -- Rachel McCollum collected seven aces and four kills for the Eagles. Kaylee Wallace contributed six kills. Reagan Taylor added four aces.
* Volleyball: Trinity-Durham d. Wayne Country Day 25-20, 19-25, 18-25 -- Rachel Uzzell served a team-high three aces. Sarah Crooks cranked out a team-best three kills. Savannah Strickland, Stephanie Schappell and Gracie Gurley had two aces apiece. The Chargers fell to 4-7 overall.
* Volleyball: North Lenoir d. C.B. Aycock 25-19, 21-25, 30-28 -- Meredith Burroughs finished with seven kills for Aycock. Taylor Bradshaw had four aces. The Golden Falcons (4-6, 1-5 ECC) play host to South Johnston on Thursday.
* Volleyball: Ayden-Grifton d. Goldsboro 25-27, 25-15, 25-23 -- The Cougars (1-9, 1-4 CC) visit North Duplin on Thursday.
* Volleyball: Oakwood d. Wayne Country Day 25-8, 25-18 -- Rachel Uzzell finished with three assists and two kills for the Chargers. Gracie Gurley had two aces.
Neuse River Youth
* Mount Olive 38, Spring Creek 22 -- Ricky Steiner paced Spring Creek with 70 rushing yards on seven carries. Devonte Corum added 63 yards and a touchdown on 10 carries. Nick Russo and Matthew Dupuy both had rushing touchdowns. Devonte Corum led the defense with seven tackles. Ricky Steiner had six tackles.
* Spring Creek 7, Mount Olive 0 -- Keonte Kittrell rushed for 143 yards on 18 carries and tossed a 26-yard touchdown pass to Jessie Cooper. Zachary Plummer, Joshua Lebron, William Archer and Nick Strickland led the defense.
Other Local Sports
- Local Preps Digest
- Greene Central-North Pit box
- State prep scores
- Area swimmer, Prince passes away
- Montgomery's monster night paces Goldsboro's win
- Goldsboro-East Carteret box
- Saints' Warren honored
- Goldsboro is lone county team in action tonight
- Barton sweeps Trojans in volleyball
- Warriors' senior back wears huge heart on his sleeve