By Ryan Hanchett
Published in Sports on October 5, 2010 1:47 PM
Spring Creek 5, Rosewood 1
* Spring Creek received strong play form Emily Daniel at the No. 1 singles spot and rode the momentum to a 5-1 win over Carolina 1-A Conference rival Rosewood on Monday afternoon.
Heather Frey, Colleen Finlay, Anna Haggerty and Brittany Carmack each won their respective singles matches for the Gators.
Victoria Holzkamm picked up the Eagles' lone point.
Spring Creek (5-1 overall, 5-1 CC) entertains defending league champion Ayden-Grifton today.
Eastern Wayne 9, Southern Wayne 0
* DUDLEY -- Eastern Wayne swept through singles play and never looked back in a 9-0 win over Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference foe Southern Wayne on Monday night.
Miller Delbridge, Janielle Daniel, Grace Delbridge, Amber Miller, Jackie Johnson and Morgan Jeffreys each earned a singles point for the Warriors.
The tandems of M. Delbridge-Miller, G. Delbridge-Johnson and Jenna Martin-Jeffreys each prevailed in doubles play.
Eastern Wayne (14-4 overall, 9-0 ECC) plays host to Triton today.
Greene Central 9, Farmville Central 0
* SNOW HILL -- Greene Central dominated throughout a perfect 9-0 win over Eastern Plains 2-A Conference rival Farmville Central on Monday evening.
Lauren Carraway, Jessica Hatch, Hayes Lovett, Brittany Colie, Laurie Sutton and Kayla Radford each claimed their respective singles match.
The tandems of Carraway-Hatch, Lovett-Colie and Sutton-Radford each prevailed in doubles play.
Greene Central (13-7 overall, 9-1 EPC) will play host to North Pitt today. A win would assure the Rams of at least a share of the EPC title for the 17th consecutive season.
North Lenoir 2, C.B. Aycock 1
LaGRANGE -- North Lenoir scored on a pair of penalty kicks in the first half and Charles B. Aycock's rally fell short in a 2-1 defeat on the Eastern Carolina 3-A soccer scene Monday night.
Travis Musselman got the Golden Falcons back in the contest by converting a penalty kick of his own in the 70th minute.
C.B. Aycock (10-3-1 overall, 5-1-1 ECC) entertains South Johnston on Wednesday night.
Rosewood 179, Princeton 186
PINE LEVEL -- Princeton's Megann Heath claimed medalist honors with a nine-hole round of 52, but it was not enough to push the Dawgs past archrival Rosewood on Monday afternoon.
Rosewood was led by Taylor Brock's round of 53. Krystal Arthur fired a 61 and Taylor Gales added a 65 for the Eagles.
Both teams will participate in the N.C. High School Athletic Association Eastern 1-A regional tournament at Birchwood Country Club in Nashville on Oct. 25.
Ayden-Grifton 3, Rosewood 1
* AYDEN -- Coming off a big win over rival Princeton, the Rosewood volleyball team suffered a letdown in a four-set loss to Carolina 1-A Conference opponent Ayden-Grifton on Monday night.
The Chargers prevailed 25-20, 26-24, 15-20, 29-27.
Ellen Morgan led the Eagles with nine kills and seven blocks. Allyssa Spell dished out nine assists. Rachyle McAlduff tallied three digs.
Rosewood (11-4 overall, 5-1 CC) will host Goldsboro tonight.
North Duplin 3, Goldsboro 2
* CALYPSO -- North Duplin survived a rally by Carolina 1-A Conference foe Goldsboro, and claimed 25-16, 25-23, 28-30, 21-25, 15-8 victory on Monday night.
Tearra Ammons led the Rebels with 13 kills and three blocks. Scarlett Martin added eight kills and two digs. Hannah Brock recorded 19 assists.
Anastazja Harris led the Cougars with eight kills and seven blocks. Brandy Johnson added eight kills and four blocks.
North Duplin (7-7 overall, 4-2 CC) will play host to Princeton tonight. Goldsboro (1-12, 0-6) travels to Rosewood tonight.
* Volleyball: Rosewood d. Ayden-Grifton 25-19, 25-10 -- Heahter Lancaster led the Eagles with eight kills. Scout Anderson tallied seven assists and Danielle Fail finished with four digs. Rosewood improved to 9-4 overall.
* Volleyball: North Duplin d. Goldsboro 25-9, 25-13 -- Ansley Hill recorded eight aces in the win. Lyndsie Harrell added seven aces for the Rebels.
* Soccer: C.B. Aycock 3, North Lenoir 0 -- Collin Zacharzuk scored a pair of goals for the Golden Falcons. Tim Naughton added a lone goal in the victory. C.B. Aycock improved to 6-0-1 overall.
* Football: Norwayne 28, Greenwood 14 -- Jordan West scored three touchdowns for the Cobras. Jerrez Lynch added one score. R'Keesh Green led the Norwayne defense with an interception. Norwayne (3-0 overall) will play Brogden on Thursday.
* Football: Spring Creek 20, Grantham 12 -- Tray Hammonds rushed for 210 yards and three scores for the Gators, including a 75-yard touchdown run in the fourth quarter that broke a 12-12 tie. Jordan Rasheed led the Spring Creek defense with five tackles and two fumble recoveries. Spring Creek entertains Mount Olive on Thursday.
* Volleyball: Norwayne d. Eastern Wayne 25-18, 25-21, 25-23 -- Norwayne improved to 5-0 on the season while Eastern Wayne dropped to 2-4. Norwayne will travel to Brogden on Thursday.
* Volleyball: Spring Creek d. Brogden 25-18, 25-17, 23-25, 22-25, 15-11 -- Sarah Ford led the Gators with two kills. Sydney Ocker and Zaira Resendic each tallied four aces in the win. Spring creek improved to 5-1 overall.
Other Local Sports
- Local digest
- Gators bounce Rebels in tennis
- Trojans shut out Golden Falcons
- Spring Creek holds off GHS
- MOC men's soccer tops St. Andrews
- Princeton has balance on offense
- Local Preps Digest
- Coker knocks off Trojans
- Trojans ranked 25th in preseason
- Stevens: Today's baseball heroes begin World Series quest