Local Preps Digest
By From staff reports
Published in Sports on October 6, 2010 1:47 PM
Rosewood 3, Goldsboro 0
* Rosewood turned back visiting Carolina 1-A Conference foe Goldsboro 25-17, 25-17, 25-11 on Tuesday evening.
Alyssa Spell distributed 16 assists for the Eagles. Ellen Morgan hammered out 10 kills. Laura Vinson supplied seven kills and three service aces.
Rosewood (12-4 overall, 6-1 CC) entertains Spring Creek on Thursday.
Princeton 3, North Duplin 1
* CALYPSO -- Princeton defeated Carolina 1-A Conference opponent North Duplin 25-23, 25-19, 20-25, 25-22 on Tuesday.
Linda Smith handed out 22 assists for the Bulldogs. Savanna Massengill contributed 10 kills, three blocks and three aces. Katlyn Peedin added nine digs and Nicole Melvin supplied nine blocks.
Princeton (10-6, 5-1 CC) plays host to Spring Creek today.
C.B. Aycock 3, Cleveland 1
* CLAYTON -- Charles B. Aycock earned a 25-22, 11-25, 31-29, 25-23 victory at Cleveland on Tuesday.
Reagan Herndon recorded eight kills for the Golden Falcons. Bailee Hughes and Conner Davis each provided seven kills and four aces.
Aycock (7-6 overall, 4-4 ECC) plays host to Eastern Wayne on Thursday.
Southwest Edgecombe 3, Greene Central 1
* PINETOPS -- Greene Central suffered a 25-22, 25-23, 15-25, 25-21 loss at Eastern Plains 2-A Conference opponent SouthWest Edgecombe on Tuesday.
Peri Dail collected 10 kills for the Rams. Kaitlyn Napier had eight kills and six aces.
Greene Central (5-12 overall, 2-6 EPC) continues EPC play at Tarboro on Thursday.
Southern Wayne 8,
North Lenoir 1
* DUDLEY -- Southern Wayne cruised past Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference opponent North Lenoir 8-1 on Tuesday.
Jessica Best, Erica Strickland, Taylor Parker, Michala Best, Mollianne Kennedy and Taylor Davis were all victorious in singles play for the Saints. The teams of Jessica Best-Parker and Strickland-Michala Best were also winners in doubles play.
The No. 3 doubles of Claire Kennedy-Kalee Rich earned the Hawks' lone point.
North Lenoir entertains Eastern Wayne today, while Southern Wayne visits Charles B. Aycock on Thursday.
Spring Creek 4
* SEVEN SPRINGS -- Ayden-Grifton slipped past Carolina 1-A Conference foe Spring Creek 5-4 and captured the regular-season championship on Tuesday afternoon.
Heather Frey, Katlyn Casey, Anna Haggerty and Jordan Cook each collected singles wins for the Gators.
Spring Creek (5-2 overall, 5-2 CC) concludes regular-season play today against North Duplin. The match will be played at Mount Olive College.
Wayne Christian 6,
Cape Fear Christian 3
* BUIES CREEK -- Wayne Christian picked up a 6-3 win over Carolina Christian 1-A Conference foe Cape Fear Christian on Tuesday afternoon at Campbell University.
Brooke Barfield, Faith Sutton, Taylor Willman and Reagan Hinton emerged as winners in singles play for the Eagles. The doubles teams of Barfield-Sutton and Willman-Hinton also prevailed.
Greene Central 9,
North Pitt 0
* SNOW HILL -- Greene Central hammered Eastern Plains 2-A Conference foe North Pitt 9-0 on Tuesday afternoon.
Lauren Carraway, Jessica Hatch, Hayes Lovett, Brittany Colie, Laurie Sutton and Kayla Radford all earned singles wins for the Rams.
The doubles teams of Carraway-Hatch, Lovett-Colie and Sutton-Radford were also victorious.
Spring Creek 6, Princeton 0
* SEVEN SPRINGS -- Spring Creek hammered Carolina 1-A Conference opponent Princeton 6-0 on Tuesday afternoon.
Victor Ortiz, David Vega, Dante Ortiz, Jesus Sandoval, Antonio Avila and Edwardo Favela all scored for the Gators.
The Gators (4-3-1 overall, 2-0 CC) recorded their second shutout in league play this season.
E. Wayne girls prevail
* LaGRANGE -- Eastern Wayne's girls prevailed in a four-team Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference meet at North Lenoir on Tuesday.
North Lenoir finished second, while South Johnston and Charles B. Aycock did not record team scores.
The Warriors' Heather Black finished second behind North Lenoir's Sarah Irsik.
South Johnston claimed first place in the boys' portion of the meet. Aycock finished second. The Warriors and Hawks were third and fourth, respectively.
Team and individual results were not reported to the News-Argus.
Lane Tree Ladies Association
* Nan Jarrell claimed game of the week honors. Betty Jean Gurley earned low net and Susan Davis claimed low putts.
* Volleyball: Rosewood d. Goldsboro 25-19, 25-10 -- Heather Lancaster tallied eight kills for the Eagles (10-4 overall, 6-1 Carolina Conference). Anna Ingram added seven aces and four kills. Amanda Becker provided seven aces and seven assists. Scout Anderson had seven assists and three aces.
* Volleyball: Princeton d. North Duplin -- Lauren Woodard collected 20 assists for the Bulldogs. Amber Hill contributed eight kills and five aces. Jasmine Bombard supplied six kills and Carson Braswell had five kills.
* South Johnston 28, C.B. Aycock 6 -- Golden Falcons' quarterback Michael Williams completed five of nine passes for 70 yards including a touchdown pass to Ty Mitchell. Jay Suber gained 45 yards on 10 carries. Tristen O'Brien recorded eight tackles.
* Soccer: Brogden 4, Mount Olive 1 -- Jesus Marcia, Carlos Baneges, Cesar Benitas and Miguel Mozquedo each scored for Brogden.