Local Preps Digest
By From staff reports
Published in Sports on October 8, 2010 1:47 PM
Wayne Christian 3, Community Christian 0
* Wayne Christian defeated Community Christian 25-19, 25-23, 25-20 in the regular-season finale for both Carolina Christian 1-A teams at Clifford Gymnatorium.
Senior Summer Brathwaite tallied nine kills for the Eagles. Jessica Swets finished with five kills and three blocks. Katie Isenhower distributed 20 assists and Haley Greenwood had 20 digs.
Britney O'Hara added 16 digs and Rachel McCollum provided 13 digs. Courtney Albritton supplied four aces and three kills.
Wayne Christian (10-9 overall, 9-5 CC) faces an opponent to be determined on Tuesday in the first round of the CCC tournament.
Ayden-Grifton 3, North Duplin 0
* AYDEN -- North Duplin suffered a 25-15, 25-16, 25-22 loss at Carolina 1-A Conference foe Ayden-Grifton on Thursday.
Tearra Ammons collected five kills and two blocks for the Rebels. Hannah Brock added four assists and two aces and Skylar McCarty had two kills.
Princeton 3, Goldsboro 0
* Princeton turned back Carolina 1-A Conference opponent Goldsboro 25-23, 25-11, 25-17 on Wednesday.
Linda Smith handed out 10 assists for the Bulldogs with two aces. Nicole Melvin contributed four aces and Megan Gerrell added four digs, three kills and three aces. Traci Bridgers supplied three kills and two aces.
Savanna Massengill had three kills and two blocks.
Princeton (12-6 overall, 7-1 CC) entertains Ayden-Grifton on Tuesday.
C.B. Aycock 6, Wilson Beddingfield 0
* PIKEVILLE -- Kyle Powell scored twice in the first nine minutes as Charles B. Aycock rolled past Wilson Beddingfield 6-0 on Thursday night.
Travis Musselman and Cade Ivey both scored before halftime. Tyler Lynch and Christian Tincher added second-half goals.
Brandon Davis recorded the shutout with six saves in goal.
The Golden Falcons (11-4-1 overall, 4-2-1 ECC) visit Cleveland on Monday.
C.B. Aycock 8, Southern Wayne 1
* PIKEVILLE -- Charles B. Aycock rolled past Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference foe Southern Wayne on Thursday afternoon.
Abby Strickland, Katie Gurley, Harlie Howard, Brittany Parrish and Misty Edwards each earned singles wins for the Golden Falcons. The doubles teams of Strickland-Gurley, Howard-Edwards and Kimber Pinder-Rachel Jackson also prevailed.
Taylor Davis earned the Saints' lone point at No. 6 singles.
Aycock (13-7 overall, 10-1 ECC) entertains Eastern Wayne on Monday.
* WILSON -- Wayne Christian's boys outran the competition in seven-team meet at Gillette Park on Thursday afternoon.
The Eagles' compiled a team score of 27 to finish ahead of Raleigh Christian Academy's 39 points. Wayne Christian's Connor Jones was the top male runner with a time of 18 minutes, 55 seconds. The Eagles' Spencer Foster (21:42) finished ninth and Will Massey (22:07) was 12th.
Wilson Christian recorded a team score of 12 to finish first on the girls side. Epiphany tallied a 15 to claim second place ahead of Wayne Christian's score of 21.
The Eagles' Sarah Allen finished in third with a time of 26:39. Teammates Christina Foster (32:31) and Kayla Kennedy (33:40) were ninth and 14th, respectively.
* C.B. Aycock 20, North Lenoir 6 -- Jeremy Hooks rushed for 156 yards and a touchdown for the Golden Falcons. Tyrik Joyner supplied 101 yards and two scores on the ground. Quarterback Cody Garris completed one of four passes for 37 yards. Christian Sullivan recorded eight tackles and Joyner added seven tackles and a sack.
* Apex 42, Goldsboro 16 -- Goldsboro quarterback Shawn Hamm threw for 100 yards and a pair of two-point conversions. Horace Floyd had a 3-yard touchdown run and Ronald Woody returned a kickoff 90 yards for a score. Justin Cates led the defense with seven tackles and three assists. Goldsboro visits Rosewood on Oct. 14.
* Soccer: C.B. Aycock 7, Wilson Beddingfield 1 -- Arnuifo Diaz, Addison Vail, Jurney Evans, Tyler Lynch, Tim Naughton, Lawrence Dugom and Adrian Guttierrez each scored for the Golden Falcons. Aycock (7-1-1 overall) entertains Eastern Wayne on Wednesday.
* Soccer: Oakwood 5, Wayne Country Day 1 -- Charlie Roethling scored the Chargers' lone goal in the 58th minute off an assist from Steffen Stoutamire.
* Volleyball: Princeton d. Goldsboro 25-9, 25-5 -- Lauren Woodard contributed 21 assists and 14 aces for the Bulldogs. Brittany Godwin had five aces and Carson Braswell finished with five kills.
* Football: Spring Creek 42, Mount Olive 22 -- Tray Hammonds rushed for 300 yards and four touchdowns for the Gators. Chad Spurgeon added a pair of touchdowns. Hammonds and Anthony Henriquez led the defense with six tackles apiece.
* Football: Norwayne 16, Brogden 14 -- Jordan West scored a pair of touchdowns and a two-point conversion for Norwayne. Blake Merrill also scored a two-point conversion. Josh Jones intercepted a pass on defense and R'Keesh Green led the team in tackles. Norwayne (4-0 overall) entertains Dillard on Oct. 14.
* Volleyball: Norwayne d. Brogden 25-10, 25-23, 25-8 -- Norwayne (7-0) visits Dillard on Oct. 14.
* Volleyball: Spring Creek d. Mount Olive 25-11, 25-9, 25-14 -- Sarah Ford and Shalyn Edwards both tallied six aces for Spring Creek. The Gators (6-1 overall) entertain Eastern Wayne on Monday.
Other Local Sports
- Triton scores early, cruises past Southern Wayne
- Tarboro-Greene Central box
- Rosewood-AG box
- Ayden-Grifton shuts out Rosewood
- Spring Creek snaps four-year losing streak in conference play
- Princeton-Spring Creek box
- North Duplin-Goldsboro box
- Murdock makes big plays in Aycock's win
- North Lenoir-C.B. Aycock box
- Struggles continue for MOC women's volleyball team