Jones, Montgomery pace Cougars' ground game
By From staff reports
Published in Sports on October 9, 2010 11:14 PM
Backfield mates Freddie Jones and Andre Montgomery continued their strong campaigns through the start of Carolina 1-A Conference play for the Cougars and Goldsboro won an old-fashioned shootout, 62-28, over North Duplin on Friday night.
Jones and Montgomery combined for 386 yards and seven touchdowns.
"Andre was running really well early so we had to keep feeding him," said Goldsboro head coach Eric Reid. "Once they started keying on Andre a little bit, we hit it to Freddie and he made some big runs for us."
Goldsboro jumped out to a 28-0 lead in the second quarter before the Rebels stormed back behind tailback Devin Oliver. The fleet-footed sophomore broke long scoring runs on each of his teams next two possessions to get North Duplin back in the contest in the third quarter.
Oliver finished with 256 yards and four TDs in the loss.
The teams combined for more than 1,000 yards of total offense.
North Duplin (2-5 overall, 0-1 CC) travels to Princeton on Friday, while Goldsboro (4-3, 1-0) entertains county foe Rosewood.
Other Local Sports
- Triton scores early, cruises past Southern Wayne
- Tarboro-Greene Central box
- Rosewood-AG box
- Ayden-Grifton shuts out Rosewood
- Spring Creek snaps four-year losing streak in conference play
- Princeton-Spring Creek box
- North Duplin-Goldsboro box
- Murdock makes big plays in Aycock's win
- North Lenoir-C.B. Aycock box
- Struggles continue for MOC women's volleyball team