By From staff reports
Published in Sports on October 12, 2010 1:47 PM
Wayne Christian 5, Fayetteville Christian 4
* Wayne Christian stole two singles points en route to a 5-4, non-conference win over Fayetteville Christian at Herman Park on Monday.
Reagan Hinton celebrated as the lone senior on the Eagles' squad with a singles victory on senior day. Faith Sutton and Taylor Willman each added a singles point.
The tandems of Willman-Hinton and Brooke Barfield-Sutton each prevailed in doubles play.
Wayne Christian entertains Cape Fear Christian today at Wayne Community College.
C.B. Aycock 2, Cleveland 1
* CLAYTON -- Charles B. Aycock scored the winning goal in the 52nd minute and held off Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference newcomer Cleveland 2-1 on Monday night.
Tyler Lynch recorded the game-winning goal for the Golden Falcons. Travis Musselman tallied Aycock's other.
Brandon Davis finished with four saves in net.
C.B. Aycock (12-4-1 overall, 6-2-1 ECC) plays host to archrival Eastern Wayne on Wednesday night.
Spring Creek 5, Ayden-Grifton 1
* AYDEN -- Spring Creek got two goals from Dante Ortiz and rallied for an easy, 5-1 win over Carolina 1-A Conference rival Ayden-Grifton on Monday night.
Omar Avila, Antonio Avila and Ivan Lemus each added one goal in the victory.
Spring Creek visits Princeton on Oct. 18.
Princeton 3, Goldsboro 1
* Bryan Johnson scored the Cougars' lone goal on a penalty kick in the 74th minute as Goldsboro fell 3-1 to league foe Princeton on Monday night.
"It was a very physical game throughout and Princeton just wanted it more than we did," said Goldsboro head coach Tyler Gatlin. "We didn't come out with the right level of focus."
Goldsboro plays host to Ayden-Grifton on Wednesday.
South Johnston 3, C.B. Aycock 0
* PIKEVILLE -- C.B. Aycock could not hold a lead in the second set and eventually dropped a 25-14, 25-21, 25-14 decision to Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference foe South Johnston on Monday.
Madison Mercer led the Golden Falcons with eight kills and three blocks. Brooke Bell added six kills.
C.B. Aycock (8-7 overall, 5-5 ECC) welcomes North Lenoir on Wednesday.
* Volleyball: C.B. Aycock d. South Johnston 8-25, 25-21, 25-21 -- Karen Craig led the Golden Falcons with five kills. Amber Rose recorded five aces. C.B. Aycock improved to 6-6 overall.
Youth Football League
* 8-Under: Wayne Boys and Girls Club 24, Eastern Wayne 0 -- Jykese McLawn led the Boys and Girls Club with 140 yards on the ground and two touchdowns. Jayden Cooper added 75 yards and one score. Defensive standouts were Jalen Tomlin with nine tackles and Malik Williams with six tackles. The Boys and Girls Club (4-0 overall) will battle C.B. Aycock on Saturday.
Other Local Sports
- Running backs put friendship aside Friday night
- Local teams show well in ECC tennis tourney
- Rosewood hands Princeton 1-0 loss
- MOC soccer defeated by Chowan
- Local digest
- Eastern Wayne drops C.B. Aycock soccer
- Trojans will teach fundamentals of game
- Local Preps Digest
- Carolina 1-A Conference tennis agate
- Controversial ending mars great contest