Local Preps Digest
By From staff reports
Published in Sports on October 13, 2010 1:48 PM
Goldsboro 3, Spring Creek 2
* Goldsboro rallied from a 2-1 deficit and defeated Carolina 1-A Conference foe Spring Creek 25-21, 21-25, 23-25, 25-18, 15-7 on Tuesday evening.
Kasheika Wallace finished with 11 kills, six service aces and three blocks for the Cougars. Brandy Johnson provided 12 kills, four aces and three blocks. Anastazja Harris had seven kills.
Goldsboro (2-14 overall, 1-8 CC) concludes regular-season play at Ayden-Grifton on Thursday.
Faith Christian 3,
Cornerstone Christian 1
* Faith Christian concluded its regular season with a 25-12, 27-25, 19-25, 26-24 victory over visiting Cornerstone Christian on Tuesday afternoon.
Abigail Pierce tallied seven kills. Taylor Downey finished with five service aces, five blocks and four digs. Charity Spencer supplied five digs and Christina Powell had four aces and two digs.
The Conquerors (4-8 overall) ended up 4-6 against N.C. Christian Schools Association Coastal 2-A opposition this season.
Crossroads Christian 3,
Wayne Christian 1
* Wayne Christian fell at home 26-24, 28-26, 19-25, 25-17 to Crossroads Christian opening-round play of the Carolina Christian 1-A Conference tournament on Tuesday.
Haley Greenwood supplied 32 digs and eight aces for the Eagles, who fell to 10-10 overall. Britney O'Hara added 19 kills and Katie Isenhower provided 30 assists.
Triton 3, Eastern Wayne 0
* Triton dealt Eastern Wayne a 25-7, 25-8, 25-14 loss in Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference play Tuesday evening.
Jasmine Benjamin tallied a kill for the Warriors.
Eastern Wayne (4-15 overall, 2-9 ECC) is the guest of North Lenoir on Thursday in a Cancer Awareness game.
Wayne Christian 6, Northwood 1
* Wayne Christian opened Carolina Christian 1-A Conference tournament play with a 6-1 victory over visiting Northwood on Tuesday afternoon.
Gregory Alexander and Seth Slusher both scored two goals. Jordan Crouthamel and Chase Darden each added a goal.
The second-seeded Eagles (13-6 overall) continue conference tournament play on Thursday at Community Christian. Game time is 3 p.m.
Rosewood 3, Princeton 1
* PRINCETON -- Antonio Henriques scored three times in Rosewood's 3-1 win at Carolina 1-A Conference opponent Princeton on Tuesday evening.
Jonathan Franks and Zach Behrend each recorded assists for the Eagles and keeper Jacquez Raynor made three saves.
Rosewood (5-5-0 overall, 2-2-0 CC) entertains Princeton today.
Wayne Christian 7,
Cape Fear Christian 2
* Wayne Christian won five of six singles matches and cruised to a 7-2 win over Cape Fear Christian on Tuesday afternoon at Wayne Community College.
Brooke Barfield, Faith Sutton, Taylor Willman, Reagan Hinton and Jessica Calvert each collected singles wins for the Eagles. The doubles teams of Barfield-Sutton and Willman-Hinton also prevailed.
Wayne Christian returns to action in the Carolina Christian 1-A Conference tournament on Friday in Raleigh.
Lane Tree Ladies Association
* Barbara Hill claimed game of the week honors. Linda Watson earned low net and Nan Jarrell captured low putts.
* Volleyball: Faith Christian d. Cornerstone Christian 25-12, 21-25, 25-8 -- Hannah Stocks tallied six kills for the Conquerors and Alyssa Culbreth added eight aces.
* Volleyball: Princeton d. Ayden-Grifton 25-12, 25-8 -- Lauren Woodard finished with 16 assists and two aces for the Bulldogs. Amber Hill added six kills and six aces. Jasmine Bombard provided four aces and three kills and Logan Jones had four kills. Princeton visits Rosewood on Thursday.
* Volleyball: Rosewood d. North Duplin 24-26, 25-16, 25-16 -- Amanda Becker distributed 12 assists for the Eagles and Scout Anderson had 10 assists. Anna Ingram contributed nine kills and five blocks. Ciera Satterfield contributed four aces and one kill. Crystal Allen and Alicia Burns contributed three kills apiece. Jessica Jones led the Rebels with seven kills and five blocks. Ansley Hill provided eight aces, eight assists and nine digs. Lyndsie Harrell chipped in four aces and three kills, while Kristen Martin served four aces.
* Volleyball: Spring Creek d. Goldsboro 25-20, 25-19 -- Bailee Ellis finished with five aces for the Cougars.
* Volleyball: Triton d. Eastern Wayne 25-23, 25-4 -- Eastern Wayne (8-9, 1-8 ECC) visits North Lenoir on Thursday.
* Volleyball: Rosewood d. Mount Olive 25-16, 25-8, 25-15 -- Lexi Mercer collected eight aces and two kills for the Eagles. Callie Thornton had six aces and four kills. Rosewood (7-1 overall) continues Wayne County Middle School Athletic Conference play Tuesday at Grantham.
Youth Football League
* 12-Under: Spring Creek 14, Rosewood 7 -- Spring Creek earned its first-ever win in 13 years of competing in the Neuse River Youth Football League. Ricky Steiner rushed for 147 yards and two touchdowns on 22 carries. Devonte Corum added 51 yards on seven carries. Sterling Dodson recorded 12 tackles and Steiner had seven tackles and a fumble recovery that helped seal the victory. Corum made five tackles. The Gators play host to the Boys and Girls Club on Tuesday.
* 10-Under: Spring Creek 62, Rosewood 0 -- The Gators compiled more than 400 yards of offense and Jesse Casper returned three interceptions for touchdowns. Spring Creek entertains the Boys and Girls Club on Tuesday.
* 12-Under: Mount Olive 28, C.B. Aycock 6 -- James Leonard rushed for two touchdowns and passed for another TD in the Hurricanes' victory. Quentin Carlton hauled in the scoring pass from Leonard. Tynir Leach paced the Mount Olive defense with three tackles. Stephen Smith supplied two tackles. Travis Chavis picked off an Aycock pass and Esteban Leon recovered a fumble for a touchdown. Mount Olive (5-0 overall) led 21-0 at halftime.
* 8-Under: Mount Olive 19, C.B. Aycock 6 -- David Thompson, Jamarri Leach and Gavin Lee each rushed for a touchdown in the Hurricanes' win. Jalen Thompson emerged the defensive leader with 12 stops. Quadrez Lassiter and Terquaris Butler recorded seven and four tackles, respectively. The Hurricanes improved to 4-0 overall and handed the Little Falcons their first defeat in four outings this season.
Other Local Sports
- Who will join Best in the 1,000-yard club?
- Preps digest: Person's goal sparks Aycock's home win
- Stevens: Fox's fate sealed in Charlotte?
- Eagles claim five-set thriller
- Golden Falcons down Saints
- Running backs put friendship aside Friday night
- Local teams show well in ECC tennis tourney
- Rosewood hands Princeton 1-0 loss
- MOC soccer defeated by Chowan
- Local digest