Preps digest: Person's goal sparks Aycock's home win
By From staff reports
Published in Sports on October 15, 2010 1:46 PM
C.B. Aycock 2, Rosewood 0
* Ronnie Person's goal off of Michael Fearney's assist broke a scoreless tie in the 49th minute as Charles B. Aycock defeated Rosewood 2-0 on Thursday night.
Chase Thompson added a goal for the Golden Falcons in the 71st minute. Aycock finished with 18 shots on goal and nine corner kicks.
The Golden Falcons (13-5-1 overall) entertain Triton on Tuesday.
Faith Christian 4,
Cornerstone Christian 3, SO
* Faith Christian advanced to the second round of the N.C. Christian Schools Association Coastal Region 2-A playoffs with a 4-3 shootout victory over Cornerstone Christian on Thursday afternoon.
Conquerors' keeper Silas Denlinger recorded 10 saves. Faith (5-7-1) faces No. 1 seed Berean Christian today.
Faith Christian-RM 1,
Wayne Country Day 0
* ROCKY MOUNT -- Faith Christian's Dustin Hendricks scored the only goal of the game in the 45th minute off a cross from Tyler Van Zant.
Wayne Country Day entertains Ridgecroft today.
Faith Christian 3, Cornerstone Christian 0
* Faith Christian turned back Cornerstone Christian 25-15, 25-20, 25-17 on Thursday to advance to the second round of the N.C. Christian Schools Association Coastal Region 2-A playoffs.
Charity Spencer supplied nine digs for the Conquerors. Elizabethe Weeks had four kills, four digs and three aces.
Faith visits Berean Christian today.
North Duplin 3,
Spring Creek 2
* SEVEN SPRINGS -- North Duplin slipped past Carolina 1-A Conference foe Spring Creek 23-25, 25-18, 26-24, 22-25, 15-13 on Thursday.
Hannah Brock finished with 16 assists, four digs and three service aces for the Rebels. Skylar McCarty contributed eight aces and four kills. Tearra Ammons provided 12 kills and four digs. Alonna Pate supplied six kills and five aces.
North Duplin (8-10 overall) faces fifth-seeded Goldsboro in the opening round of the conference tournament Monday at Ayden-Grifton.
Ayden-Grifton 3, Goldsboro 0
* AYDEN -- Goldsboro suffered a 26-24, 25-17, 25-20 loss at Carolina 1-A Conference opponent Ayden-Grifton on Thursday evening.
Kasheika Wallace and Anastazja Harris each had four kills and two blocks for the Cougars.
Goldsboro (2-15 overall, 1-9 CC) faces North Duplin in opening-round play of the Carolina 1-A Conference tournament Monday at Ayden-Grifton.
Tarboro 5, Greene Central 4
* Greene Central came up just short against Eastern Plains 2-A Conference foe Tarboro on Thursday in a playoff for the conference's No. 1 seed in next week's N.C. High School Athletic Association dual-team playoffs.
Lauren Carraway, Jessica Hatch and Kayla Radford each collected singles victories for the Rams. The doubles team of Carraway/Hatch also prevailed.
Greene Central (15-7 overall) travels to Swansboro on Tuesday.
ECC finals rained out
* PIKEVILLE -- Final-round play in the 2010 Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference tournament was rained out Thursday afternoon.
* Goldsboro 56, Rosewood 14 -- The Cougars' Kevondre Kornegay rushed for 121 yards and two touchdowns on five carries. Ricardo Woodard contributed 116 yards rushing and two touchdowns on five carries. Horace Floyd tallied 93 yards rushing and a touchdown. Demarco Lewis finished with 46 yards on the ground and a score. Christian Martenson returned a kickoff 68 yards and Ronald Woody had a 60 yard punt return for a touchdown.
Travis Sauls paced the Goldsboro defense with seven solo tackles, three assists and a fumble recovery. Aaquon Butler recorded seven tackles and two assists and James Clyde had an interception. The Cougars (5-2) visit Ayden-Grifton on Oct. 21.
* Volleyball: Princeton d. Rosewood 25-23, 25-27, 25-21-- The Eagles' Amanda Beckert dished out 10 assists, while Anna Ingram provided six kills and 10 digs. Alicia Burns (six digs), Heather Lancaster (four blocks, four kills), Crystal Allen (four kills) and Scout Anderson (two aces, three assists) also contributed to Rosewood's effort. The Eagles finished 13-5 overall and 8-2 in Carolina 1-A Conference play.
* Volleyball: North Duplin d. Spring Creek 26-24, 25-18 -- Ansley Hill handed out nine assists with two kills for the Rebels. Jessica Jones added five kills. Kristen Martin supplied four aces and Lyndsie Harrell had four kills and three aces.
* Volleyball: Ayden-Grifton d. Goldsboro 25-9, 25-12 -- The loss was the season finale for the Cougars.
* Football: Spring Creek 36, Greenwood 30 -- The Gators' Tray Hammonds rushed for 272 yards and four touchdowns on 28 carries. Hammonds has rushed for more than 1,000 yards this season. Chad Spurgeon added a touchdown for Spring Creek. Hammonds, Spurgeon and Anthony Henriquez led the defense. The Gators improved to 3-0 in the Div. II Conference.
* Volleyball: Norwayne d. Dillard 25-20, 25-15, 27-25 -- Norwayne (8-0 overall) travels to Mount Olive on Monday.
* Volleyball: Eastern Wayne d. Rosewood 23-25, 25-20, 25-19, 25-15 -- Lexi Mercer tallied eight aces and five kills for Rosewood. Callie Thornton provided four aces and four kills. The Eagles play host to Brogden on Monday.