By Ryan Hanchett
Published in Sports on October 19, 2010 1:46 PM
North Duplin 3, Goldsboro 0
* AYDEN -- North Duplin captured early momentum and never looked back in a 25-19, 25-6, 26-24 win over Goldsboro in the opening round of the Carolina 1-A Conference tournament at Ayden-Grifton High School on Monday.
Tearra Ammons led the Rebels' attack with 12 kills. Skylar McCarty added five kills and four aces and Hannah Brock dished out 13 assists.
Kashieka Wallace recorded four kills for the Cougars. Brandy Johnson added six blocks.
North Duplin travels to Rosewood tonight for its semifinal matchup.
Wayne Country Day 3,
* Kim Martell collected 12 kills and served nine aces in the Chargers three-set sweep in Coastal Plains Independent 1-A Conference play.
Hannah Pearson added six assists, seven kills and three aces. Natalie Ecker (six kills), Brooke Neal (three aces), Jessica Zhou (ace), Edie Hooks (kill) and Sarah Crooks (kill) contributed to the win.
Sterling Coggins handed out 16 assists.
WCDS improved to 16-5 overall and 7-2 in the CPIC.
Tarboro 3, Greene Central 0
* TARBORO -- Greene Central never mustered the kind of offense it needed in the Eastern Plains 2-A Conference tournament and fell in the first round 25-16, 25-16, 26-24 to Tarboro on Monday night.
Kaitlyn Napier led the Rams with four kills and four aces. Peri Dail finished with eight kills and three blocks. Shannon Smith added seven kills.
The loss ends Greene Central's season.
Spring Creek 1, Princeton 1
* PRINCETON -- Neither team could pull off a golden goal as Spring Creek and Princeton settled for a 1-1 tie on Monday night.
Omar Zavala scored the Gators' lone marker.
Spring Creek (6-4-2 overall, 4-0-1 CC) will travel to Rosewood on Wednesday. Princeton (1-15-1, 1-4-1) will be the gues tof Ayden-Grifton.
* Volleyball: Rosewood d. Spring Creek 25-21, 25-20, 23-25, 25-19 -- Lexi Mercer led the Eagles with six aces and four kills. Kaylee Lyon added five aces in the win. Rosewood (9-2 overall) will travel to Norwayne on Thursday.
* Volleyball: Norwayne d. Mount Olive 25-6, 25-6, 25-13 -- Norwayne kept its perfect record in tact with a quick win over Mount Olive. The Cobras (10-0 overall) play host to Rosewood on Thursday.
Neuse River Youth Football League
* 8-Under: Boys and Girls Club 26, Spring Creek 0 -- Jykeis McLawn and Jayden Cooper each scored a pair of touchdowns for the Boys and Girls Club. Jaquan Wellington and Deonte Lane emerged as the defensive standouts in the win. Boys and Girls Club improved to 5-0 on the season.
Other Local Sports
- Hawks' Irsik seizes girls' individual championship
- ECC cross country agate
- Chargers stun Bulldogs
- EW-W. Carteret tennis agate
- Four-time ECC champ Eastern Wayne dominates Pats
- Local Preps Digest
- Rosewood eliminates North Duplin
- C.B. Aycock grabs 3-3 tie
- Triton upends Eastern Wayne in pivotal ECC 3-A game
- NL-SW soccer