By From staff reports
Published in Sports on October 25, 2010 1:46 PM
Daniel-Talton claim fourth
* WILSON -- Eastern Wayne's doubles of Janielle Daniel-Joann Talton finished fourth in the 2010 N.C. High School Athletic Association 3-A eastern regionals, and qualified for the state tournament.
Daniel-Talton opened play with a 6-0, 6-4 victory over D.H. Conley's duo of Alicia Wall-Kate Hanley. The Warrior tandem eliminated Fike's Sarah Flinn-Anna Claire Summerlin 7-6 (7), 6-2 in the quarterfinals.
Rocky Mount's Lindsay Thomas-Caroline Nelson defeated Daniel-Talton 6-2, 6-1 in the semifinals. Conley's Kelsey Martin-Courtney Gould upended Daniel-Talton 6-2, 2-6, 6-1 in the third-place match.
Eastern Wayne's doubles of Grace Delbridge-Jackie Johnson prevailed in their first-round match, but lost to Fike in the quarterfinals. Aycock's tandems of Abbey Strickland-Katie Gurley and Harlie Howard-Misty Edwards each endured a first-round loss.
In singles, the Warriors' Miller Delbridge blitzed Havelock's Ashley Deschytner 6-0, 6-0 and fell in the quarterfinals to eventual regional runner-up Kaley Price of Nash Central.
Amber Miller lost to Washington's Beth Batchelor in the first round.
Gators compete in regional
* GREENVILLE -- Spring Creek's Emily Daniel finished 1-1 in the 2010 NCHSAA 1-A eastern regional.
Daniel began tournament play with a 6-4, 7-5 win over Rebecca Ransom of West Columbus. A sophomore, Daniel concluded her season with a 6-1, 6-0 loss to N.C. School of Science Math's Alice Huang.
The Gators' doubles of Brittany Carmack-Colleen Finlay turned back Red Springs' duo of Gabriela Martinez-Lakaya Farrington 6-2, 6-4. Carmack-Finlay fell in the second round.
Lane Tree LGA
* Linda Watson emerged the game-of-the-week winner during play on the Lane Tree Golf Club links. Susan Davis and Mary Ann Sutton claimed low net and low putts, respectively.
Neuse River Youth
* 8-Under: Boys and Girls Club 25, Mount Olive 12 -- Jykese McLean rushed for 200 yards and four touchdowns for the Boys and Girls Club. Jayden Tomlin led the defense with 10 tackles and Malik Williams added seven stops. Boys and Girls Club (6-0 overall) will visit C.B. Aycock on Tuesday for its regular-season finale.
* 12-Under: Rosewood 5, Eureka RAGE 1 -- Dalton Grimmer scored the RAGE's lone goal.
* 12-Under: Eureka RAGE 2, Grantham 1 -- Grimmer picked up his team-leading fourth goal of the season. Jynasys Lewis added a goal for Eureka.
Other Local Sports
- Local Preps Digest
- Rosewood knocks off Manteo, 3-1
- Bill Kemp Invitational Results
- E. Wayne-Fike tennis box
- Golden Demons squeak by Warriors
- Camden rallies, eliminates Princeton
- Warrior boys, girls capture team titles
- Simmons wins East regional
- Local digest
- MOC Green-White game both competitive and intense