Local preps digest
By From staff reports
Published in Sports on October 29, 2010 1:46 PM
* Triton 28, C.B. Aycock 13 -- Golden Falcons' quarterback Cody Garris was 5 for 13 passing for 84 yards with a touchdown. Garris added 31 yards rushing. Tyrik Joyner provided 42 yards rushing. Joyner caught three passes for 69 yards. Austin Westbrook had a 12-yard touchdown reception.
Khalil Owens led the defense with 13 tackles. Christian Sullivan made 11 stops and Joyner supplied 10 tackles.
* Football: Spring Creek 16, Brogden 14 -- Trey Hammonds rushed for 150 yards and two touchdowns, and the Gators repeated as the Wayne County Middle School Athletic Conference Division II champions. Defensive leaders were Chad Spurgeon, Anthony Henriquez and Earl McIntyre. Henriquez and McIntyre each recovered a fumble. The Gators concluded the year 4-3 overall and 4-0 against Division II opposition.
* Football: Eastern Wayne 34, Norwayne 8 -- Eastern Wayne finished 7-0 and claimed the WCMSAC Division I championship. It was the Warriors' first undefeated campaign since 2005. Offensive leaders were Malik Richards, Darryl Pittman, Dashaun Pridgen and Kamone Best. Defensive leaders were Michael Mintz, Jimmy Parks, Jaylen Whitaker and Shaquan Bell.
* Football: Mount Olive 26, Grantham 22 -- Mount Olive's Ty Pearsall scored on a 15-yard rushing touchdown and threw two touchdown passes to Xavier Pearsall of 10 and 75 yards. Xavier Pearsall also recovered a fumble for a touchdown. Joan Avilez and Leandro Mora led the defense with eight tackles apiece. Khalil Fullwood contributed four tackles and a fumble recovery. The game was the season finale for both teams.
* Volleyball: Norwayne d. Eastern Wayne 25-18, 25-18, 25-22 -- Norwayne improved to 13-0 and 6-0 WCMSAC Division I play. Norwayne concludes its season on Monday against Greenwood.
* Volleyball: Spring Creek d. Brogden 25-8, 25-17. 25-15 -- Stormy Westbrook and Sydney Ocker both provided six aces for the Gators. Zaira Resendiz and Sarah Ford each added four aces. Spring Creek (9-4 overall) entertains Grantham on Monday.