By From staff reports
Published in Sports on November 2, 2010 1:47 PM
Simmons tied for sixth
* SOUTHERN PINES -- Charles B. Aycock sophomore Tara Simmons is tied for sixth overall after opening-round play of the N.C. High School Athletic Association 1-A/2-A/3-A girls' golf championships.
Simmons, the East champion, carded an 18-hole round of 79 on the Longleaf Golf and Country Club layout Monday afternoon. She is one stroke back of Mary Katherine Donovan from Topsail, and is two strokes out of third place.
Wilson Fike senior Mallory Warrick fired an even-par 71 and leads defending state champion Kayla Scuipider (West Henderson) by one stroke heading into today's final round.
West Henderson has a 10-stroke advantage over Salisbury in the team standings.
* Football: Eastern Wayne 36, Southern Wayne 6 -- Eastern Wayne got a solid defensive performance in a 36-6 victory over Southern Wayne at Little Big Horn on Monday evening. Damone Lewis led the Warriors with 105 yards on the ground and one touchdown. Jake Wiser and Lavoris Vick each added one rushing score in the win. Josh Vandiford hauled in a receiving touchdown. Eastern Wayne concludes regular-season play at home Thursday against North Lenoir.
* Volleyball: Norwayne d. Brogden 25-11, 25-8, 25-9 -- Norwayne captured the Wayne County Middle School Athletic Conference Division I championship with a decisive win over Greenwood on Monday afternoon. The Cobras finished the season 14-0 overall.
* Volleyball: Spring Creek d. Grantham 3-1 -- Sarah Ford served five aces and pounded out four kills for the Gators, who finished 7-1 against WCMSAC Division II competition this season. Sydney Ocker added one kill. Zaira Resendiz, Shalyn Edwards, Dulce Briones and Stormy Westbrook also served well in the four-set victory. Spring Creek concluded the year 10-4 overall.
Youth Football League
* 8-Under: Boys & Girls Club 19, Rosewood 0 -- Jykese McLawn led the Boys and Girls Club with 150 yards and three touchdowns. Jayden Cooper added 75 yards on the ground. Jaquan Wellington anchored the winning defense. The Boys & Girls Club advances to the 8U championship game on Thursday evening at Goldsboro High School. Kickoff is 7 p.m.
* 8-Under: Mount Olive 19, C.B. Aycock 0 -- Jamari Leach rushed for two touchdowns and Davion Thompson added one TD for the Hurricanes, who advanced to Thursday's championship game against the Boys & Girls Club. Jeremiah Anderson led the defense with 10 stops. Jerome Moore provided six tackles. Quadrez Lassiter recorded a fumble hit and Jalen Thompson recovered a fumble.