By Rudy Coggins
Published in Sports on November 4, 2010 1:47 PM
Southern Wayne 3,
South Brunswick 2 (OT)
* SOUTHPORT -- Jesus Rodriguez notched the game-winning goal in overtime and Southern Wayne upset Waccamaw champion South Brunswick, 3-2, in the N.C. High School Athletic Association 3-A boys' soccer playoffs on Wednesday evening.
It was the Saints' first-ever playoff victory in their first-ever postseason game. Southern Wayne (9-11-0 overall) continues play Saturday at No. 14-ranked Wilson Fike, which slipped past West Carteret, 2-1.
The game time has not been determined.
Rodriguez and Jose Rodriguez each scored a goal in regulation. Jesus took over the Wayne County scoring lead with 54 points.
Neuse River Youth
* 12-Under -- Mount Olive 33, Eastern Wayne 20 -- Quinton Carlton rambled for two touchdowns. James Leonard rushed for a touchdown and threw a scoring strike to Cole Barwick. Cartes Jones also found the end zone on offense. Hunter Barwick emerged the defensive leader with six tackles. Tymir Leach had a fumble recovery. The Hurricanes led 33-0 at halftime. Mount Olive (8-0 overall) plays host to Charles B. Aycock for the Neuse River Youth Football League championship on Nov. 9. Kickoff is 7 p.m.
Other Local Sports
- Seven teams advance to NCHSAA football playoffs
- North Duplin withstands Spring Creek rally
- North Duplin-Spring Creek box
- Aycock's James, Goldsboro's Montgomery selected for Shrine Bowl
- Rosewood-Princeton box
- Rosewood snaps two-game skid against Princeton
- Friday's N.C. prep football scores
- Goldsboro High-Ayden-Grifton box
- James Kenan-Wallace RH box
- Bulldogs top Kenan, cap unbeaten campaign in Tri-County 1-A play