Eagle varsities tip off season
By From staff reports
Published in Sports on November 15, 2010 1:47 PM
KINSTON -- Junior Chase Darden pumped in a game-high 20 points, and Wayne Christian launched its varsity boys' basketball season with a 53-28 victory over Bethel Christian.
Senior Chase King contributed 10 points. Junior Chandler Harrell controlled the boards with seven rebounds.
The Eagles' defense recorded 17 steals, including five from Seth Slusher.
Wayne Christian's girls' opened the year with a 37-28 loss to Bethel.
Summer Brathwaite pulled down a team-high 12 rebounds. Katie Isenhower supplied six points, eight rebounds and one assist. Kayla Kennedy registered seven points, five rebounds and one blocked shot.
Brooke Barfield (five points), Courtney Barrow (four points) and Katie Wallace (four) also scratched in the scoring column. The trio combined to pull down eight rebounds.
The Eagles play host to Freedom Christian on Thursday. The girls' game tips off at 5 p.m. inside Clifford Gymnatorium.
* Boys' basketball: Wayne Christian d. Bethel Christian 30-25 -- Victor Kokiko led the Eagles with 15 points. Austin Howell added nine points and Chandler King grabbed eight rebounds. Wayne Christian (1-0 overall) visits Rocky Mount Academy on Tuesday.
Other Local Sports
- Local Preps Digest
- Moats couldn't ask for better timing at CBA
- Stevens: Hamlin needs to forget Phoenix, concentrate on final race
- Confident So. Wayne continues road swing
- Rebels have date with state champs
- Faith Christian-Wimington Christian box scores
- Patriots nip Conquerors in OT
- Bullock-Davis ready to build on last season's success
- Chargers host first swim meet
- WCDS fall sports award winners