Local preps digest
By Ryan Hanchett
Published in Sports on November 19, 2010 1:50 PM
Wayne Christian 45,
Freedom Christian 10
* Summer Brathwaite pumped in 14 of her game-high 18 points in the second half, and Wayne Christian rolled past Freedom Christian 45-10 inside Clifford Gymnatorium on Thursday evening.
The Eagles (1-1 overall) held the Patriots scoreless in the first and third quarters. Freedom notched its first field goal with 6:28 left in the second period and knocked down three field goals in the final quarter.
Sophomore guard Brooke Barfield contributed seven points, six steals, four assists and three rebounds. Courtney Barrow provided four points and snared a team- and game-high 10 rebounds.
Courtney Barrow, Katie Isenhower, Sara Davis and Kaylee Wallace tallied four points apiece. Isenhower dished out a team- and game-high five assists.
Sara Davis and Kayla Kennedy, the Eagles' lone returning starter, delivered one basket apiece.
Wayne Christian entertains Shannon Forest (S.C.) today.
Hilltop Christian 54,
Faith Christian 27
* WENDELL -- Faith Christian fell to Hilltop Christian, 54-27, in the opening round of the Southeast Invitational on Thursday evening.
Elizabeth Weeks led the Conquerors with eight points. Charity Spencer added seven points and Brianna Champion finished with six points. Katie Watson led the team with five rebounds.
Faith Christian (0-2 overall) plays Jacksonville Christian in consolation-round play today.
* Boys' basketball: Wayne Christian 61, Freedom Christian 51 -- Chris Easom led the Eagles with a double-double -- 22 points, 12 rebounds. Dylan Smith provided 16 points, six rebounds, five assists and two blocked shots. Ben Sawyer and Hunter Timmerman grabbed seven and six rebounds, respectively. Wayne Christian improved to 2-0 overall.
* Boys' basketball: Wayne Christian 32, Goldsboro Heat 25 -- Austin Howell emerged the Eagles' top scorer with 11 points. Ty West paced Goldsboro's offense with 16 points. Wayne Christian (1-1 overall) returns to action Dec. 2 at Neuse Charter.
* Girls' basketball: Mount Olive 20, Spring Creek 14 -- Cierra Whitfield led Mount Olive with 10 points. Monica Manley and Ada Relly each added four points. Jaleah Jones provided seven points for Spring Creek. Amber Buchan had four points.
* Girls' basketball: Norwayne 51, Brogden 19 -- Taylor Daniels paced Norwayne with 18 points. Myleah Jones supplied 13 points. Ashley Darden and Holly Sutton both had eight points. Norwayne (1-0) entertains Mount Olive on Monday.
Other Local Sports
- No. 1-ranked Wallace-Rose Hill rolls past North Duplin
- NC prep football 3rd round pairings
- Trojan men rally past Mars Hill
- Emotional Cats shut out Rosewood
- Rosewood-Hobbton box
- S. Wayne-S. Brunswick box
- South Brunswick eliminates Southern Wayne from playoffs
- WCDS varsities defeat Wilson Christian
- Wallace-North Duplin box
- Catawba women upend MOC