By Ryan Hanchett
Published in Sports on November 23, 2010 1:47 PM
Wayne Country Day 54, Waccamaw 23
* WHITEVILLE -- Wayne Country Day raced out to an early lead and never looked back in a 54-23, non-conference win over Waccamaw Academy on Monday night.
Hannah Pearson paced the Chargers with 12 points and 12 rebounds. Catherine Ford added 11 points and 10 boards. Sarah Best tallied 11 points and four assists.
Wayne Country Day (2-0 overall) travels to Ridgecroft on Nov. 29.
Parrott Academy 62, Spring Creek 25
* SEVEN SPRINGS -- Spring Creek didn't make a field goal until the third quarter of a 62-25, non-conference loss to Parrott Academy on Monday night.
It was the Gators' season opener.
"We are really young and it showed in the first game," said Spring Creek head coach Amanda Ramfjord. "We need to keep working hard to get better each day."
Patriot forward Heather West emerged the offensive star of the game. The multi-talented wing player scored 30 points, grabbed eight rebounds and dished out five assists. Kristen King added eight points and seven boards in the win.
Jana Price paced the Spring Creek offense with 13 points and seven rebounds. Morgan Stancil added six points and two rebounds.
Princeton 69, Corinth-Holders 33
* PRINCETON -- Princeton came firing out of the gates in a 69-33, season-opening win over Corinth-Holders on Monday night.
Ben Jacobs paced the Dawgs with 27 points and 16 rebounds. Rusty Wallace scored nine points in the win and Aaron Simpkins finished with eight markers.
Kahlil Larry led the Pirates with eight points.
Princeton (1-0 overall) travels to Cleveland High School today.
Wayne Country Day 76, Waccamaw 31
* WHITEVILLE -- Tyson Pearson and Brandon McCarter each recorded a double-double, and Wayne Country Day hammered Waccamaw 76-31 on Monday evening.
Pearson pumped in 20 points and pulled down 11 rebounds. McCarter contributed 13 points and a team-best 14 boards. Josh Gregory scored a game-high 21 points. Hil Tanner added seven.
WCDS (2-0 overall) visits Ridgecroft on Nov. 29
* Boys' basketball: Mount Olive 44, Norwayne 40 -- Dante Alston paced the Mount Olive offense with 11 points and nine rebounds. Xzavier Pearsall added 10 points and Maurice Butler finished with nine. Ian Best scored 17 points in the defeat. Mount Olive (2-1 overall) visits Greenwood on Dec. 2.
* Girls' basketball: Norwayne 37, Mount Olive 14 -- Myleah Jones scored a game-high 13 points for the Cobras and Ashley Darden chipped in nine points in the victory. Norwayne (2-0 overall) plays host to Dillard on Nov. 29.
* Boys' basketball: Wayne Country Day 31, Waccamaw 29 -- Tony Townsend and Jamal Forde scored 13 and nine points, respectively, for the Chargers. WCDS (2-0 overall) plays host to Cape Fear Academy on Dec. 3.
Other Local Sports
- Saints lose to Pine Forest
- Goldsboro-Pender box
- MOC women fall to Lincoln Memorial
- Pender drops Goldsboro
- Golden Falcons-Warriors outcome decided on 'first points scored' criteria
- Digest -- Greene Central boys improve to 2-0
- Jerry Narron named bench coach for Brewers
- MOC improves to 6-0 against Converse College
- Goldsboro girls give Bullock-Davis win in coaching debut
- County rivals go into overtime