By From staff reports
Published in Sports on November 30, 2010 1:47 PM
Wayne Country Day 47,
* AHOSKIE -- Wayne Country Day finished with three players in double digits on the score sheet and bested Ridgecroft School on Monday night.
Catherine Ford paced the Chargers with 19 points and eight rebounds. Mack Thompson and Hannah Pearson pumped in 13 points apiece.
Wayne Country Day (3-0 overall) plays host to Cary Academy tonight.
Lejeune 58, Spring Creek 27
* SEVEN SPRINGS -- Jana Price finished with eight points to lead the Spring Creek effort against Lejeune on Monday night.
Alyssa Borja added six points for the Gators (0-2 overall).
"We showed our youth at the guard position tonight," said Spring Creek head coach Amanda Ramfjord. "We finished with 30 turnovers as a team, but on the bright side I love the desire and heart that these girls show each night out."
Chatori Major tallied a game-high 29 points for the Devilpups.
Spring Creek entertains Midway today.
Bethel Christian 39,
Faith Christian 20
* Faith Christian couldn't overcome a cold-shooting first quarter and missed point guard Christina Powell in a 39-20 loss to Bethel Christian on Monday evening.
It was the N.C. Christian Schools Association Coastal 2-A opener for both teams.
The Conquerors (1-3 overall, 0-1 Coastal) needed 17 possessions to convert their first field goal -- Christy Johnson's bouncing 14-footer that dropped through the net as time expired in the opening period.
"You fall behind by a dozen points and you're just playing from behind the rest of the way," said Faith Christian coach Eddie Smith. "The second quarter wasn't a whole lot better, but the third and fourth quarter, I thought we played okay with them. We hit a shot or two and played some good defense."
Bethel employed a variety of man-to-man defenses, including a halfcourt and fullcourt trap, to seize a 24-6 advantage at intermission. Haley Moody led the Trojans, who snapped a two-game losing streak, with a game-high 15 points. Lindsey Crain added eight.
Faith Christian's Brittany Champion just missed a double-double with 10 points and nine rebounds. Elizabethe Weeks contributed three points and five rebounds. Megan Hunt and Katie Watson pulled down five and four rebounds, respectively.
Charity Spencer tallied four points.
The Conquerors continue region play today at Trinity-Greenville.
* Girls' basketball: Norwayne 29, Dillard 25 -- Myleah Jones led the Cobras with 11 points. Ashley Darden added 10 points in the win. Norwayne (3-0 overall) travels to Grantham on Thursday.
Other Local Sports
- WCDS-Cary Academy box scores
- Cougars turn back Jaguars
- Local Preps Digest
- WCDS girls escape in OT
- Goldsboro High School wrestling
- RM Prep- Goldsboro box score
- Cougar grapplers nearly pull off first win
- Goldsboro-S. Lenoir wrestling box score
- Trojan men upend archrival; Jackson paces Bulldog women
- Golden Falcon matmen pin Rams, Demons