Local Preps Digest
By From staff reports
Published in Sports on December 1, 2010 1:47 PM
Eastern Wayne 59, Havelock 52
* Eastern Wayne picked up its first victory of the season with a 59-52 win over visiting Havelock on Tuesday night.
Lee Atkinson led the Warriors with 23 points. Josiah Davis contributed 16 points and Lamar Best had 10 points and seven assists. Javon Darden supplied six points and eight rebounds.
Eastern Wayne (1-1 overall) plays host to Wilson Fike tonight.
Cary Academy 51,
Wayne Country Day 50
* Wayne Country Day had the game's final possession, but couldn't convert in a 51-50 home loss to Cary Academy on Tuesday night.
Coming out of a timeout, the Chargers attempted to lob the ball to Brandon McCarter with two seconds remaining. McCarter's tip-in and Aaron Forde's putback were both off the mark.
"We were trying to get the ball to McCarter on a backdoor lob," said Wayne Country Day head coach Terry Jones. "We told our kids big games like this often come down to one possession. This game came down to one play."
McCarter made one of two free throws with a little more than a minute to play leaving Wayne Country Day behind 51-50.
Josh Gregory led Wayne Country Day (3-1 overall) with 24 points. McCarter added 10 points and 10 rebounds.
Cameron Walton paced Cary Academy with 20 points.
Wayne Country Day entertains Waccamaw Academy on Friday.
Princeton 65, Cleveland 50
* CLAYTON -- Princeton built a 20-point lead after the first quarter en route to a 65-50, non-conference victory at Cleveland on Tuesday night.
Ben Jacobs led the Bulldogs with 19 points and 10 rebounds. Wes Wood provided 14 points and Justin Foy had nine. Jeremiah David led Cleveland with 17 points.
Princeton (3-0 overall) visits Midway tonight.
Faith Christian 71,
* GREENVILLE -- Faith Christian placed three scorers in double figures in a 71-51 win at N.C. Christian Schools Association Coastal 2-A opponent Trinity Christian on Tuesday night.
Connor Anderson paced the Conquerors with 21 points. Aaron Hill and Wes Caudle both contributed 14 points. Silas Denlinger had 11 assists and seven steals.
Faith (4-2, 2-0 Coastal 2-A) entertains Raleigh Christian on Friday.
Wayne Christian 30
* FAYETTEVILLE -- Turnovers and poor shooting plagued Wayne Christian in a 48-30, Carolina Christian 1-A Conference loss at Northwood Temple on Tuesday night.
Taurell Singletary led the Eagles with 10 points. Chase King chipped in seven points and seven rebounds.
Wayne Christian (1-3, 0-1 CCC) continues conference play at Cresset Christian on Friday.
Greene Central 84,
* AYDEN -- Malcolm Dawson scored 22 points and pulled down 10 rebounds to lead Greene Central to an 84-45, non-conference victory at Ayden-Grifton on Tuesday night.
Kelsey Dixon provided 15 points, five assists and five steals. Bobby Waters added 12 points, seven rebounds, six assists and five steals. Joseph Biggs had 10 points and eight rebounds.
The Rams travel to Charles B. Aycock on Thursday.
Wayne Country Day 73, Ridgecroft 42
* AHOSKIE -- Josh Gregory poured in 24 points to go with 11 rebounds and six steals in the Chargers' non-conference road win on Monday night.
Brandon McCarter added 17 points. Hil Tanner and Tyson Pearson both had 11.
Rocky Mount Prep 30
* Goldsboro had eight different players score at least one point in a 56-30, non-conference win over Rocky Mount Prep on Tuesday night.
The Cougars jumped out to a 20-4 lead after one quarter behind some hot shooting from forwards Kasheika Wallace and Alexus Myles. The duo combined for 12 points in the period.
"I was pleased with our effort on the defensive end," said first-year head coach LaTina Bullock-Davis. "My big thing tonight was to keep the girls focused and avoid a letdown in the second half."
The Cougars accomplished Bullock-Davis' goal and extended their lead in each of the final two quarters. Myles finished with 16 points and four rebounds. Wallace added 14 points and four boards. Talaya Lassiter reached double figures with 10 points and nine rebounds.
Goldsboro (2-0 overall) plays host to C.B. Aycock on Friday night.
Wilson Hunt 60, Charles B. Aycock 54
* WILSON -- Despite double-doubles from Imari Howell and Ivy Hartzell, Charles B. Aycock fell 60-54 at Wilson Hunt on Tuesday night.
Howell led the Golden Falcons with 20 points and 10 rebounds. Hartzell supplied 12 points and 12 rebounds. Courtnei Gilbert chipped in seven points and five rebounds.
Aycock plays host to Greene Central on Thursday.
Faith Christian 30, Trinity Christian 28
* GREENVILLE -- Brianna Champion scored 13 points for Faith. Elizabethe Weeks supplied six points and Charity Spencer had four in the N.C. Christian Schools Association Coastal 2-A contest.
The Conquerors (2-3 overall, 1-1 Coastal 2-A) entertain Raleigh Christian on Friday.
Midway 43, Spring Creek 37
* SPIVEY'S CORNER -- Spring Creek got off to a slow start and couldn't quite close the gap in a 43-37 loss at Midway on Tuesday night.
The Gators trailed 14-3 after the first quarter but trimmed the margin to 18-14 at the half. Janna Price led the Gators with 19 points, five rebounds and three steals.
Alyssa Borja added 13 points, three rebounds and two steals.
Walnut Creek LGA
* Charlotte Campbell claimed play-of-the-day honors on the Walnut Creek Country Club links.
Hiromi Sueki and Linda Cannon captured low gross and low net, respectively. Evelyn Rose seized low putts for the field.
* Boys' basketball: Goldsboro 62, RM Prep 54 -- Quavis Holloman scored 20 points to lead the Cougars. Rasheed Jackson added 17 points and Lanzia Tyson paced the victors with six rebounds to go with his six points.
* Girls' basketball: Charles B. Aycock 36, Wilson Hunt 31 -- Quanika Artis and Audrina Lynch each had 12 points for the Golden Falcons. Kennedy Perkins provided seven points.
* Girls' basketball: Trinity Christian 38, Faith Christian 21 -- Molly Roebuck led Faith with eight points in Tuesday night's road loss. Kayla Johnson had six points. Katie Colenda scored 18 points for Trinity. The Conquerors (1-1 overall) travel to Bethel Christian on Dec. 15.
* Girls' basketball: Faith Christian 27, Bethel Christian 16 -- Molly Roebuck scored 13 points for the Conquerors in a home victory on Monday evening.
* Girls' basketball: Rosewood 30, Eastern Wayne 24 -- Callie Thornton led the Eagles with 11 points. Lexi Mercer provided 10 points. Rosewood improved to 4-0.
* Girls' basketball: Northwood Temple 19, Wayne Christian 6 -- Jody Gurley, Hunter Kaler and Kasey Norris each scored two points for the Eagles.