Local Preps Digest
By Andrew Stevens
Published in Sports on December 9, 2010 1:47 PM
Southern Wayne 79, Jones Senior 43
* TRENTON -- Southern Wayne earned its second victory over Jones Senior in less than a week with a 79-43 win on Wednesday night.
Carlos Council contributed 14 points and Tony Smith provided 13 points and 11 rebounds. Jamiel Price supplied 12 points. Bernard Gross added nine points and Delfawn Worrells had eight points and eight rebounds. Devontae Artis pulled down 11 rebounds.
Southern Wayne (4-1 overall) entertains Goldsboro on Friday.
Princeton 83, Hobbton 30
* NEWTON GROVE -- Princeton continued its tear through the non-conference portion of its schedule with an 83-30 win at Hobbton on Wednesday night.
Ben Jacobs led the Bulldogs with 24 points, 19 rebounds, 10 blocks and five assists. C.J. Jefferys pitched in 13 points and eight assists. Justin Foy provided 12 points and eight rebounds. Austin Jacobs had eight points.
Princeton (7-0 overall) visits North Johnston on Friday.
Lakewood 65, North Duplin 55
* CALYPSO -- North Duplin suffered its second home loss in as many nights, falling 65-55 to Lakewood on Wednesday.
Breyon Johnson scored 19 points for the Rebels. James Kornegay had 10 points and Marcus Kornegay finished with nine.
Issaih Sellers scored a game-high 23 points for the Leopards.
North Duplin (0-2 overall) plays host to Hobbton on Friday.
Wilson Hunt 53, Eastern Wayne 49
* WILSON -- Wilson Hunt slipped past Eastern Wayne 53-49 on Wednesday night.
Lee Atkinson led Eastern Wayne, which had its three-game win streak snapped, with 25 points. Lamar Best added 14 points.
Eastern Wayne (3-2 overall) begins Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference play at South Johnston on Friday.
Spring Creek 18, Lejeune 17
* LEJEUNE -- Spring Creek earned its first win of the season with an 18-17 victory at Lejeune on Wednesday evening.
Ebony Robinson led the Gators with five points. Elizabeth Edwards contributed four points, seven rebounds and four steals. Morgan Stancil had four points and five steals.
Spring Creek (1-5 overall) plays host to Midway on Friday.
Lakewood 53, North Duplin 23
* CALYPSO -- North Duplin couldn't close a four-point halftime deficit and was outscored 38-12 in the second half of a 53-23 non-conference loss to visiting Lakewood on Wednesday night.
Jessica Jones led the Rebels (0-2 overall) with nine points. Tearra Ammons had eight points.
North Johnston 62, Rosewood 22
* North Johnston created turnovers from its pressure defense in the opening quarter, scored the game's first 18 points and cruised to a 62-22 victory over Rosewood.
Jemel McCoy and Vivian Adams paced the Panthers' attack with 14 and 12 points, respectively. North Johnston recorded 13 team assists on 23 made field goals.
Jennifer Liles led the Eagles with four points. Freshman Ellen Morgan, Megann Tyndall and Alicia Burns provided three points apiece. Nine Rosewood players scratched in the scoring column.
The Eagles dropped to 0-5 overall.
Wilson Hunt 52, Eastern Wayne 22
* WILSON -- Eastern Wayne suffered a 52-22 loss at Wilson Hunt on Wednesday night.
Janielle Daniel led Eastern Wayne with 11 points, seven steals and three rebounds. Tasia Marsh had five points and Brooke Doherty blocked seven shots.
Eastern Wayne (1-4) travels to South Johnston on Friday.
Other Local Sports
- Weekend preps digest
- Wayne Christian girls end three-game losing streak
- Wayne Christian boys pick up CCC win at home
- Spring Creek boys upend Midway
- Rosewood boys cruise past Lakewood
- Jacobs has another double-double for unbeaten Dogs
- Allen leads MOC's second-half charge on road
- North Duplin boys snap two-game skid
- Friday's prep boxes
- North Duplin girls fall to Hobbton