Local Preps Digest
By From staff reports
Published in Sports on December 15, 2010 1:47 PM
C.B. Aycock 47, North Lenoir 23
* PIKEVILLE -- C.B. Aycock overcame a slow first quarter and battered Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference rival North Lenoir 47-23 on Tuesday night.
The Golden Falcons played smart defense and jumped out to a 6-1 lead after one quarter. The Aycock offense finally came to life in the second period and it grabbed an 18-9 lead at halftime.
"I thought we were a little sluggish to begin," said C.B. Aycock head coach Laura Romo. "But we pulled it together and our bench gave us a nice contribution to help get us on track."
Imari Howell led the Golden Falcons with 13 points and seven rebounds. Ivy Hartzell added 10 points and seven boards. Tyecha Newsome finished with eight points.
C.B. Aycock travels to South Johnston on Friday night.
Deshanna Cox led the Hawks with eight points and eight rebounds.
North Lenoir (4-5 overall, 1-1 ECC) is the guest of Triton on Friday.
Cleveland 46, Eastern Wayne 40
* Eastern Wayne couldn't convert on key possessions in the fourth quarter of a 46-40, Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference loss to Cleveland on Tuesday night.
The Rams used a 10-2 run that began late in the third quarter and extended into the fourth quarter to build a 36-28 lead.
Tasia Marsh's layup pulled the Warriors to within 43-40 with 23 seconds left but Eastern Wayne got no closer.
"We just had too many turnovers," said Warriors' head coach Tyrone Wagner. "That's been the story for us all year. We're still a work in progress."
Jasmine Benjamin and Brooke Doherty both scored eight points for the Warriors. Courtney Ireland led Cleveland with 17 points.
Eastern Wayne (1-5, 0-2 ECC) entertains Spring Creek tonight.
Southern Wayne 75, Triton 56
* DUDLEY -- Bernard Gross just missed a triple-double with 21 points, 11 rebounds and eight assists to lead Southern Wayne to a 75-56 victory over Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference foe Triton on Tuesday night.
Khari Faison contributed 18 points and 11 rebounds for the Saints. Carlos Council supplied nine points. Tony McNeil led the Hawks (6-1 overall, 1-1 ECC) with 16 points.
Southern Wayne continues ECC play at Cleveland on Friday night.
Princeton 71, Corinth-Holders 47
* Princeton continued its torrid start to the season with a 71-47, non-conference win at county rival Corinth-Holders on Tuesday night.
Ben Jacobs finished with 21 points and nine rebounds. Wes Wood provided 18 points and Justin Foy had 16 points and 15 rebounds. Khalil Larry led the Pirates with 12 points.
Weather permitting, Princeton (9-0 overall) entertains Hobbton on Thursday.
Lejeune 76, Rosewood 46
* CAMP LEJEUNE -- Rosewood trailed by two points midway through the third quarter before Lejeune pulled away for a 76-46, non-conference win on Tuesday night.
Cody Harris scored 13 points for the Eagles and Antonio Henriques had 10.
Rosewood (6-1 overall) plays host to Lejeune on Friday.
* Boys' basketball: Triton 70, Southern Wayne 56 -- Jalen Roberts paced the Saints with 20 points.
* Boys' basketball: C.B. Aycock 53, North Lenoir 42 -- Michael Williams led the Golden Falcons (7-1 overall, 2-0 ECC) with 16 points. Greg Williams provided 11 points. Shakel Powell, Cameron Johnson and Roddrick Jones each scored nine points.
* Boys' basketball: Wayne Country Day 46, St. Mary's 42 -- Jamel Forde led the Chargers' offense with 16 points. Preston Edwards contributed 12 points. Corey Carpenter and Jacob Norris tallied eight and seven points, respectively. WCDS (3-3 overall) entertains Wayne Home School on Jan. 5, 2011.