By From staff reports
Published in Sports on December 18, 2010 11:13 PM
Southern Wayne 82, Cleveland 50
* CLAYTON -- Southern Wayne improved to 2-0 in Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference play with an 82-50 win at Cleveland on Friday night.
Carlos Council and Bernard Gross both scored 14 points for the Saints. Council pulled down 15 rebounds. Tony Smith supplied 13 points and Khari Faison added 13 points and 13 rebounds.
Southern Wayne (7-1) faces Whiteville on Monday in the Wallace-Rose Hill Christmas tournament.
Southern Nash 56, Goldsboro 45
* BAILEY -- Goldsboro cut a 20-point deficit to six in the fourth quarter but close the gap in a 56-45 non-conference loss at Southern Nash on Friday night.
James Williams led the Cougars with 22 points. Damarion Henderson provided seven points. Robert Kornegay added six points and Devonte White had five points.
Lejeune 45, Rosewood 35
* Rosewood trimmed an 18-point second half deficit to 10 but could get no closer in a 45-35 non-conference loss to visiting Lejeune on Friday night.
Alicia Burns led the Eagles with 11 points. Megann Tyndall provided six points.
Rosewood entertains C.B. Aycock on Dec. 30.
Wilson Hunt 44, Eastern Wayne 35
* Wilson Hunt used an 8-0 run to end the third quarter to pull away from Eastern Wayne for a 44-35 win on Friday night.
Hunt got 14 points from forward Lizzie Maddon, who tallied four points during the game-deciding stretch. Kierra Dixon added 12 points for the visitors.
"I thought we played pretty well most of the game, but that one bad run really hurt us," Eastern Wayne head coach Tyrone Wagner said. "We were able to keep them in check by mixing up our presses, but they made a couple easy baskets and pulled too far ahead."
Jasmine Benjamin led the Eastern Wayne attack with nine points. Janielle Daniel added seven points and Carly Givens finished with six points and seven rebounds.
Eastern Wayne (2-7 overall) is back in action on Monday at New Bern.
* Boys' basketball: Charles B. Aycock 50, South Johnston 24 -- Michael Williams led the Golden Falcons with 17 points and eight rebounds. Cameron Johnson added 10 points and 10 rebounds. Aycock (8-1, 3-0 ECC) visits Rosewood on Dec. 30.