CBA in EW Quad
By Rudy Coggins
Published in Sports on December 20, 2010 1:47 PM
Returning starter David Romo compiled a 5-0 worksheet and Charles B. Aycock recorded a disappointing, 2-3 team record during a non-conference, dual wrestling meet hosted by Eastern Wayne.
"Romo achieved his season goal of reaching the 119-pound weight class," said Aycock head coach Marc Peck. "(A) 2-3 (record) is a lackluster performance considering where we should be at this point in the season. We had good depth to start the season, but lacked experience in the event that we lost starters early in the season."
The Golden Falcons (8-6 overall) suffered dual losses against county rival Rosewood, Western Harnett and North Johnston. Peck's team turned back short-handed Tarboro, and beat Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference foe Cleveland for the second time in four days.
Romo started his day with a pin over Western Harnett's Alec Matos. Opposing coaches avoided the Aycock grappler and awarded him forfeits the remainder of the evening, except Cleveland.
Romo scored a major decision over the Rams' Joey McKinney.
Teammates Nick Simmons (171 pounds) and Preston Tucker (140) each picked up four victories on the night. Tucker lost his first match, but bounced back with four consecutive wins that included a pin over Rosewood's Brandon Bragg.
Nick Jones (103), Daniel Romo (130) and Zeb Darden (145) collected three individual wins apiece. Travion Lewis recorded two wins at 215 pounds.
Aycock returns to action Dec. 31 in its own Pilkington Memorial Duals, which honors the late Terry Pilkington, who started the Golden Falcon wrestling program in the 1980s.
-- By RUDY COGGINS
Other Local Sports
- South Johnston girls defeat Princeton in title game
- Spring Creek girls notch second win of season
- Gators' Thomas torches KIPP for career-best 43 points
- Tuesday's prep basketball boxes
- Southern Wayne boys top South Brunswick
- Unbeaten Dogs roll past county foe South Johnston ... again
- Cougar boys weather fourth-quarter rally
- Golden Falcon girls slip past Goldsboro
- Aycock - Goldsboro wrestling
- Goldsboro-C.B. Aycock wrestling box